• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Monitor question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigbaddie

So i'm running a GTX560 448 Cores. Wondering if i could run a dual monitor setup gaming on one and browsing the web/watching videos on the other?

TIA

I'm doing that as I type this post. Games that run fullscreen you will not be able to do this with as it will minimize the game if you select another window. You could watch a video, since that doesn't require interaction once playing.

Hmm so im guessing that you need to use window mode then.. Might work out thanks.

Windowed or Fullscreen windowed. The latter looks like fullscreen, but you can do whatever you want with other windows. That is what I use for Rift/WoW.

Game has to support it, though there is a program that is supposed to force other programs (games) to display in full screen window mode, even borderless. It doesn't work with every game though, so a huge YMMV is to be said about it. Tried it once for a game I wanted to run full screen window borderless and it didn't work. I'll see if I can find it, as I did download it a long time ago. Not sure if it been updated at all since then.

I just run full screen and alt+tab out of the game when i need to access second game.

Really handy on modern warfare single player on the parts of the game where you cant do anything for a few minutes. You just have to wait till the action starts. (Program continues to run in background and I can hear it so I know when to alt+tab back to it).

Note that SOME games, on Nvidia will blackout the second monitor. I dont know why, I just recently switched to using my 580 instead of my AMD card.

****.. Im just wondering if my card can suppot it. I heard about the blacking out of second monitor so thats why i was curious.

if you play games like rift/wow/eq that support fullscreen-windowed mode, its a joy being able to watch tv/movies/youtube/ocforums on the second monitor. Or look up the quest youre on, or space out and let your group wipe cause youre reading about earwax on wikipedia.

Even if you cant use it during a couple of the games you play, its totally worth having dual monitors. You wont go back to single monitor afterwards

I use dual monitors ALL of the time. Not just gaming. Im playing modern warfare 1 right now its running in the background during that long car ride after the prolouge :)

But I run multiple browsers tabs, IM, Media player, and a handful of other apps

Back