• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD only has 5.5% x86 marketshare?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjw21a

I'm wondering whether the below article, copied from the Inquirer is correct. Has AMD's marketshare truly dropped to a measly 5.5%? I mean, geez, I can remember when they were up to neatly 30% back around 2001 or so.

How on earth are they managing to survive on so little, when chip prices have dropped so much? :(

AMD's Llano helps claw market share from Intel
Piledriver can't come soon enough
By Lawrence Latif
Thu Mar 15 2012, 12:34

CHIPMAKER Intel saw a marginal increase in market share over the course of 2011 as AMD's Fusion chip saw the firm make up ground in the laptop market.

Industry analysts IDC totted up the scores for the two big x86 chip vendors in 2011 and came out with some good news for both AMD and Intel. Revenue from flogging chips rose by 13.2 per cent, bringing the total market revenue for 2011 to $41bn, with the majority of it going to Intel.

Intel managed to increase its market share in 2011 by 0.1 per cent to 80.3 per cent, while AMD lost 0.1 per cent leaving it with 19.6 per cent. That in itself isn't terrible news for AMD but when IDC broke down the figures into laptop and server chips, there was mixed news for AMD.

AMD's laptop chip market share, which the firm went after with gusto following the launch of its Llano chips in the middle of 2011, rose by 2.7 per cent to 16 per cent, while Intel's market share fell by 2.6 per cent to 83.8 per cent. While AMD was reaping the rewards of its Llano chips, its Bulldozer Opterons did nothing to demolish Intel's considerable market share in servers.

Even after delays to its Sandy Bridge Xeon chips, Intel managed to increase x86 server market share by 1.4 per cent to 94.5 per cent, while AMD lost 1.5 per cent leaving it with just 5.5 per cent. Bulldozer also failed to spark any life in the desktop market for AMD, with the firm ending up with 26 per cent market share, a drop of 1.6 per cent, while Intel added 1.7 per cent to end the year with 73.8 per cent.

AMD's performance disappointment with the Bulldozer architecture is unfortunate for the firm, and it needs to iterate the architecture quickly and not have to worry about fab issues at either Globalfoundries or TSMC. While the laptop market is clearly warming to AMD's Fusion chips, the firm knows it needs to capture at least 10 per cent of the server market to be taken seriously.

IDC forecasts that x86 processor shipments will grow by 5.1 per cent in 2012, and AMD's goal must be to win a significant share of that new business. µ

That is server market share. Pretty sure they've always been pretty low there.

Ah, got ya. I was thinking, like: Wow, how come they havent gone into recievership already?

As per the article their desktop market share is 26%, even after a 1.6% drop. Unfortunately they are getting killed elsewhere. I'm speculating that AMD's GPU business helping to keep them afloat.

I thought they were well into double digits with the Opteron market. I guess that was long enough ago to change? (I thought Server markets were long term purchases not upgraded because SB-EP came out.)

It has been a long time since they were competitive though.... Intel's performance per watt has got to say something. I think the thing that held intel back for a while was those crappy FB-DIMM's, once they went back to regular old ECC memory then power useage dropped back down.

Dont forget AMD also does the GPU for Xbox 360, Wii, and I think the PS3 as well, or did nvidia do the PS3. I also Beleive AMD is also doing the Wii U, xbox 720 and maybe even the PS4, but no true word yet on the xbox 720 n PS4.

Nah, nVidia have been out of the console market since the original XBox. Apparently they weren't that nice to deal with, and wanted to raise prices to continue manufacturing the chip. Neither Microsoft or Sony will deal with them any more.

Dont forget AMD also does the GPU for Xbox 360, Wii, and I think the PS3 as well, or did nvidia do the PS3. I also Beleive AMD is also doing the Wii U, xbox 720 and maybe even the PS4, but no true word yet on the xbox 720 n PS4.

Nah, nVidia have been out of the console market since the original XBox. Apparently they weren't that nice to deal with, and wanted to raise prices to continue manufacturing the chip. Neither Microsoft or Sony will deal with them any more.

Nvidia designed the gpu in the PS3.

???? Really, I thought it was integrated into part of the CELL processor design and is manufactured by IBM.

???? Really, I thought it was integrated into part of the CELL processor design and is manufactured by IBM.

yea it is nv designed similar to the 7800GTX.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1719
some times it is better to mix and match to achieve your goal for a system. the cpu was the best option at the time and then nv coming out with a really good gpu back then.

Ah, so basically its part nVidia designed but not nVidia manufactured so they just recieve royalties from this. Interesting.

I saw this in that anand article and it made me chuckle. Did they honestly think it would take so long to get to smaller fab processes a mere 6 years ago?
By 2015 CPUs may be manufactured on as small as a 32nm process

Lol, yeah.... Intel's going 22nm and AMD's about to go 28nm bulk (about time they got rid of SOI)

Back