• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 580 3GB, VRAM in BF3 is 1.9GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On my 6970 at 6036X1080 resolution, it uses 1.9GB-2GB of my 2GB of vram.
System ram, it uses about the same... (1.7GB-1.9GB). This is with almost everything on low :(

Before I got my eyefinity, 1080P @ Ultra was using around 1.6-1.7GB if I remember correctly.

This is a question i need answering as i'm looking at getting a new GPU soon, i know what i want but there available in 1Gig or 2Gig, 1Gig is £125 and the 2Gig £160, that's a fair chunk more and i still don't know if i need the 2Gig one.

That card should run half the settings on Ultra but i don't know if 1Gig is enough memory for that...

I have 1Gig on my current card, with it i'm running all high 1920 x 1080.

Its using about 900MB of that Vram and my system memory is just about maxed out (4GB)

Yet i have seen people say 1Gig is fine with high + Ultra @ 1080P, the recommended Vram is 1Gig..... i just don't know what to do, £160 is not going to be easy for me and what i don't want is to find that the £125 1Gig card isn't enough to advance the settings from where i have them now... :bang head

picture.php

How is many FPS do you get with your current card on ultra right now?

And I'm curious about how much system RAM is it using?

If you are going to keep the new card for quite a while, I'd definitely get the 2GB version. But, if it'll play current/future games ok with 1GB and you want to save the money, then 1GB might work.

How is many FPS do you get with your current card on ultra right now?

And I'm curious about how much system RAM is it using?

If you are going to keep the new card for quite a while, I'd definitely get the 2GB version. But, if it'll play current/future games ok with 1GB and you want to save the money, then 1GB might work.

On Ultra, i don't know as i have never tried it but i would think about 2?

I'll give it a go..... :)

Yeah but, the comparison isnt between .5GBps SSD and ram/vram, its between a HDD @ .1GBps with 12ms access time and an SSD @ .5GBps and .01 access time. HUGE difference there in getting the data through. I would have to imagine it would make a difference.

I understand that the SSD will be 5 times faster than the HDD. However since the SSD is still 1/400 the speed of on board vram the game will become so unplayable paging to disk ... well it would be unplayable lol.

Its orders faster access times though. I dont think it would elininate stutter, but should be better.

Wish this could be tested easily.

Ya would be cool if someone could post some results with 1gb card. Any stutter or frame drops at 1080p with textur ultra vs high or medium. Im sure AA is a big hit.

If I was in the market for new card...def get at least 2gb. Just 50 buck diff...help in long run. Def for more screens.

Ya I dont think most other games use as much as BF3.
Game is huge. But so freaking awesome.

Interesting..... all Ultra AA off = 20 FPS (avr) 10 FPS min. The Vram was still around 900MB out of 1GB and my system ram... well that hit 95%, that as high as i have ever seem it.

I played for about 10 minutes like that (believe it or not)
it was very choppy and borky, another interesting thing is my CPU usage dropped to 40% from the usual 50%

With AA on, it completely crapped its self and crashed about 10 seconds in, and the FPS barely even registered.

AA is the killer here, i can run the game absolutely fine on all high @ 1920 x 1080.... as soon as i turn AA on with those settings the frame rates drop like a stone.

Last edited:
Ok I ran a few more tests....
With everything on the lowest/off it can be, it uses about 1.1GB-1.2GB at 1920X1080, and 1.4GB at 6036X1080.
That gives me around around 50-55FPS.

I use custom and have most things on low, with a few things on medium/high. that uses around 1.8GB at eyefinity res.

On Ultra (eyefinity), it maxes the cards Vram out. I check task manager and when I run it on ultra, it uses more system/physical ram then on low/medium, because it must be putting some stuff in system ram after vram is full. Also, framerate drops to like 10 FPS.
When ran on medium-high, the framerate was bad but not near as bad as ultra since it doesn't max out the Vram.

A 2GB card would be best.

I have a feeling its just shifting data into the system RAM once the Vram is getting near full no matter what the settings are....

What we need is someone with a higher end card that only has 1GB of Vram and try to get it to run out of Vram to see what happens.

My 1GB card is GPU horsepower fail, not Vram, i can't help but fell it would have been fine high + ultra @ 1920 x 1080 with its 1GB Vram and a much better GPU.

How high can you get your settings at just 1920 x 1080? (AA off)

In the first picture you can see that it uses 1.6-1.7GB, and uses 75-85% of the GPU. I get a solid 60FPS that doesn't drop with those settings.

Second picture, I usually used those settings when I used one monitor. Usually gets me 60FPS but drops down to 50fps sometimes. As you can see the GPU usage is in the 90%s.

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

Whats that purple benchmark thingy that i see in the top left corner? it looks useful, better then Fraps.

Whats that purple benchmark thingy that i see in the top left corner? it looks useful, better then Fraps.

Your welcome.

MSI afterburner :)
I have it set to show temperature, gpu usage, fps...amd it can display a lot more.

EDIT: a little late I guess :p
I started replying on my phone and then had to do a few things lol

Interesting how 1G cards have been around for 5-7 years, and just now its starting to be a bottleneck lol.. Add multi-screen setups and 3D, and that 2G vram is starting to look like chump memory..

Of course at this point any video card would be crawling on a 2011/2012 title with 3screen/ 3D activated anyways.

Your welcome.

MSI afterburner :)
I have it set to show temperature, gpu usage, fps...amd it can display a lot more.

EDIT: a little late I guess :p
I started replying on my phone and then had to do a few things lol

I had no idea it could be used for that....

its weired you guys are getting high vram usage. with my rig in sig (1536mb) of v-ram. i use about 1350mb of video ram with everything on ultra 4x deferred, no post aa, no blur, 90 fov, not that i have my windows 7 theme set to windows basic so no areo's and and effects. if i have that on my system uses 1460 or so.

now i have 8gb's of system ram. the game uses a good amount of system ram (not as much as swtor though) but i dont understand how you guys with simular settings but with no deferred aa are using so much vram? the deferred aa (msaa) costs allot of gpu and cpu power as well as vram but the guy above me was hitting 1700 with it off. thats nuts. can you turn it on and let me know how much you are using??

ill try to get pictures of what my set up is getting in a litle bit

Back