• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newie has a problem with i7-930, hot and slow.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your case sounds fine. It's just your mount. Just use the thermal compound that comes with the hyper 212 EVO if you buy that. It'll be fine for your use :).

thats about all i use is the stuff that comes with the cooler master cpu's works fine for me, even use some generic white stuff nothing ever overheats or shorts, or dries out, but if im going for expensive stuff i go with mx2

Another question, for installing a new cooler, should I buy any special cleaning liquids to remove old thermal compound?, or may I use alcohol or any domestic solution?

Rubbing alcohol is fine. Just use a lindt-free cloth if you have one. Should work fine. When the CPU is shiny enough so it looks clean; it's fine.. There's always going to be little microfibres and dust particles in there; don't get too frantic about cleaning it.. Only those who need every single .5 degrees care about making it absolutely perfect. lol

Another question, for installing a new cooler, should I buy any special cleaning liquids to remove old thermal compound?, or may I use alcohol or any domestic solution?

alcohol works great :) doesnt matter what % of alcohol

There are cleaning fluids available, but IMO they're unnecessary. I use Isopropyl Alcohol (the typical rubbing alcohol you can find at your local drug store. Get as high concentration as you can find.

Wow, thank you again for your help, you are so fast answering... Amazing.
I'll try to get a new cooler as soon as possible (hope not later than next friday, I'll mount it following your advices, and then I'll post info about new temps, speed, stability, etc. I've just seen a good offer to buy a noctua nh u12p se2, do you think it would be a good choice for me? Is it too noisy?
If everything is working fine then I'll try a bit of overclocking. It would be great for me to be able to render 3d images faster with my pc.

That cooler is very quiet. It's an excellent cooler. Overkill for your needs to be honest; but if you can get a good price on it; go for it! It's quiet and runs really well. Noctua heatsinks come with decent thermal compound too. =)

Have you tried going into your bio and setting you CPU Vcore to 1.13 volt. Volt=heat the lower you can run the voltage the lower the temps will be. If your going to keep or mild OC your cpu, you could do it with the stock fan. I had a 3.5ghx oc with stock fan and I never hit 65c. But I wanted more POWER!!! now i hit 65-67c but im at 4.15ghz oc on air, that was with 6hr's into prime95. Playing BF3 or even Everquest im 57ish or so. Im using the TT Frio HS/F

I'd try manually setting the voltage.

Ha. Forgot about even suggesting that.. yeah try manually setting your voltage. You've got a D0 chip so you should be fine setting it around 1.1-1.3v.

I would also turn turbo off.

Have you tried going into your bio and setting you CPU Vcore to 1.13 volt. Volt=heat the lower you can run the voltage the lower the temps will be. If your going to keep or mild OC your cpu, you could do it with the stock fan. I had a 3.5ghx oc with stock fan and I never hit 65c. But I wanted more POWER!!! now i hit 65-67c but im at 4.15ghz oc on air, that was with 6hr's into prime95. Playing BF3 or even Everquest im 57ish or so. Im using the TT Frio HS/F

I'd try manually setting the voltage.

That's a damn good chip you got there then.

Hi again,
I've tried to set my vcore voltage to 1.13, and I've switched off turbo boost. Now I'm on win, and this looks better. Idle win 7, only updating some software or browsing internet, and cores temps are down to 57°. And cpu-z says that this is running at x21 2,8ghz and core voltage is 1.104. When I render a 3d image temps go up and reach 99° but cpu keeps x21 2,8ghz (only goes down to x20 for a sec and gets back to x21 again).

Cores 2 and 4 are always colder than 1 and 3, I suppose that I applied wrong my thermal compound again, don't you think?

Thanks a lot for your help

Well you should be getting that cooler this week. Otherwise I'd suggest re-mounting it once more. Making sure you clean it properly; and for a stock intel heatsink; the way it's designed; I'd probably just put a small dot in the middle of the CPU (not dot; a little blob); and try that. Don't bother spreading it entirely; because the Intel stock heatsinks don't even cover the CPu entirely usually.

That´s true, my intel cooler has a round shape surface made of copper that only cover the central area of the chip.
I applied a vertical line as I saw in a web of thermal compunds. I think I´ll wait for my new cooler and then I´ll clean cpu and try to mount it as fine as I can.

Hi guys!!!

I´ve just installed my Noctua NH-U12P Se2, as fine as I could, and now I´m in win7 and my CPU is running at x21 2,8ghz and voltage is 1,104, in idle mode, temps are around 33-38ºC, and when I´m rendering a 3dimage, CPU is 100% load, they are reaching around 48-50ºC. (3rd core is always 2-3ºC hotter than the others, could be a problem?)

So is way better result than with my old intel stock cooler. Do you think I am getting good temps? Is there any settle period for the thermal compound? May I try some OC now or should be better to do a test period? For how long?

Thank you all very much for all your help this days, spcecially to Mjolnir that is helping me all the time, from the opposite part of the world!

EXCELLENT result. That's a fantastic result. There is no period to settle for the compound that came with it.

Your temps are awesome. They're better than mine lol. Very solid mount apparently.

And no 2-3 difference per core is nothing. Heck even 5-7 degrees is nothing. If it's 10+ then there might be a bad mount.. Or compound missing somewhere. But your temps are fine.

Congratulations on your new cooler and temps. A lot better =). I would opt for a 3.6ghz OC; because you use this as a rendering machine; rather than pushing it too far.. Though you could easily hit 4ghz on that CPU with that cooler. Though you could argue keeping it at stock as well as a rendering machine.. And that 3.6ghz as an OC is no different than 4ghz providing it's 100% stable..

You can try some Overclocking =). Have you read up on some guides? Or do you already know what to do?

As a general rule for Prime95 stress testing; for that CPU; try to keep it under 80 degrees. Though if it hits <85 it's still 'okay' but try to keep it lower than 80. Lower is better. If you can keep MAX temps overclocked below 75 you're sweet/solid.

Thanks Mjolnir,

YES, I´m reading a guide found in this forum, called 3 steps to Oc your i7, to start with (I suppose that is a good guide for a newie as me).
And YES, I think I´ll try to find a stable 3,6ghz OC to work with. I don´t wanna push it too far, but I can render images much faster with that speed, and that´s amazing for me, as I´m so bored of waiting to images to finnish, when I´m in a hurry, you know, work deadlines, etc.

Back