• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newie has a problem with i7-930, hot and slow.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EndikaM

Registered
hello everyone,

I NEED HELP. A year ago I decided to build my own machine (ga-x58a-ud3r + i7-930 + 12gb ram: 6x2gb Kingston 1600 + gtx480). I haven´t still tried to overcloked anyting. I use it for rendering 3D images, but I´ve noticed that is rendering too slow for my specs.
So I decided to do a 3dMark vantage test, and the results confirms that my gtx is doing great, but my i7930 is performing less than a half of what is expected to. Then I installed cpu-z and could see that my cores are running at aprox. x14 1800mhz but they are supposed to run at x21 2800mhz. And when I try to render They go down to x9 or x10.
I´m not sure how to view my cores temperature, but in BIOS I can see that they are at 90ºc.

I would like to fix this issue, or at least, know if something is wroken so i can change it. Then I would love to try a bit of overcloking, maybe 3,6 or 3,8ghz in order to be able to finnish 3D render much quicker.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your attention, and sorry for my english. I´m not sure if this is the correct place for this post, but I´m so frustated that I had to try anything.

By the way, I forgot to say that my cpu is cooled by air with a standard Intel cooler. And I have a 700w modular PSU.

PLEASE, I need help with this, I´m lost, don´t know what to do first.

THANX!!!

You need to either a; remount your CPU cooler; or b, buy a new one. (If you want to overclock; buying a new one is your only option).

If you're trying to render and it's dropping the multi; it's also dropping the voltage; it's called throttling. It means your temps are WAY too hot for the CPU to run at full speed/voltage. The CPU/motherboard detects this then downclocks the CPU.

Where are you located in the world? To give us an idea of what's available for you to buy. =)

Oh thanks for answering so fast!

I´m in Madrid, Spain. And I have account in alternate.es so I can buy almost anything in a few days I think.

So what I can see in CPU-Z, that core speed and even the voltage is changing all the time (from 0,912v to 1) is due to high temperatures? I think is the cheapest component of my PC, so I have no problem in buying a new one.

So I´m going to buy a new cooler to see if my problem is fixed... Any recomendations of CPU coolers for a non-extreme overclocked i7-930?

I would like to buy a good one, because my machine is frequently left working overnight (rendering 5 to 10 hours), but If the cooler is not very noisy it would be great.

Thank you in advance

A cheap one would be Hyper 212 Evo. If you can find one. Will grant you a mild overclock easily. For a rendering machine; I wouldn't really go past 3.6ghz. And this cooler will do that for you.

For more expensive and quiet options.. You're looking at the Thermalright Archon, Thermalright Silver Arrow, Noctua D14, Noctua NH-U12P. (Note; the Noctua D14/Silver Arrow are very very large; they may have issues if you have tall heatspreaders on your RAM or tall heatsinks on your motherboard (Though I've yet to see too many issues with the motherboard type..)

Thank you for your info.

First of all, this evening I´m trying to buy a good cooler in a shop here in Madrid. They have the noctua U12P, but I´m not sure if they have it in stock.

I´ll keep posting any further information. I really hope the cooler is the only issue in my computer.

Use either Core Temp or Real Temp to monitor the core temp's while in Windows, and post the results after running Prime for a few minutes. Also open CPU-Z to the CPU tab before and while running Prime, and post the idle and loaded Vcore (Core Voltage).

I´m already in win7 64, with no heavy duty, (no Prime95, not rendering, etc.). And Real Temp is giving me 99-100º in each core. And CPU-Z is giving me a changing Core Voltage from 0.912 to 1.040 aprox.

It´s hot without doing anything, just in windows, or browsing a web.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Buying a new one is going to take a few days, because the lack of stock in shops. So I´m going to try to remount my intel cooler. I think that with this standard cooler correctly mount I should be able to have normal temps in idle activity, don´t you think?

I´ll try it and post results here. At least with luck, I´ll be able to work with my pc a few days until I buy a good cooler.

Thanks a ton!

Make sure you have a good thermal compound! Not sure what's available in your area but something like artic silver 5 or equivalent. Read up on how to apply it properly. Lots of threads here.

Forget arctic silver 5. It's not horrible. But it's old. And there are better compounds out there that don't require a cure time nor are they conductive..

Like arctic cooling mx 2/3/4. Noctua NH-1. Prolimatech... Er. Something 1. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Ok, I´m back again, tonight I remounted my intel series cooler, with new thermal compound (not a good one, but the only one I found in a shop near to my office), and I tested my pc again.... YOU WERE RIGHT, now it keeps around 60-65ºc in idle mode in windows (CPU-Z says that the cores are now in x22 2900mhz), and I was able to redender a 3D image for 20 minutes (same image took 72min yesterday!!!), and temps turned to 90º-99º, but cores didn´t go down from x20-x21 2800mhz...
I understand that my cpu is ok but, under heavy duty, is reaching the limit, so I really need the new cooler and a good compound, as soon as possible.

YOU ALL are so kind!, T H A N K Y O U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Lol Yeah that's still not really an ideal mount.. Definitely buy that new cooler. Most (in fact; all) CPu coolers come with their own Thermal Compound anyway. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a solid buy for you. And it comes with a small tube of thermal compound. Should be fine for your needs.

Ps; look up a quick guide on how to apply thermal paste. Your temps still shouldn't reach 90+ rendering.. It's possible you've applied it either too much or too little. (Most likely too much). You really only need a thin layer.. Which you can either dab a small blob in the middle and let the cooler do the rest; or spread it yourself.. Again a thin layer. It's really only to 'fill cracks' I guess.

Yes, I´m buying a good one, I´ll have it by next friday or so. And yes, I think I´ve used too much compund, not easy because it´s a bucket, not a samll tube, and I was not sure how to apply it, now I´m about to read all the info, to be able to mount it correctly.

Thanks a lot.

The thermal compounds that Mjolnir recommended will be better if you can find one of them. I moved away from AS5 myself and got some Phobya HeGrease but I've got no clue what's available in your area, hence the ever popular AS5 recommendation. :)

Also, something that hasn't been asked yet.... What kind of case is this setup in? How many fans do you have installed in your case and where?

you should be able to run that chip at stock 2.8ghz with like 1.13 volts, I noticed with my setup it was running warm before I manually set the volts myself for the cpu.. I would try that, set the cpu volt to 1.13 and see what your temps are, then benchmark it, it windows blue screens or locks up, up the volt 1 notch each time, till your 100% stable.

for some reason the X58A-UD3R was giving my chip the MAX voltage even at stock speeds when I left it at auto.

The Hyper 212+ or Evo would be a good choice for a budget cooler..

If you've got a chip like mine you could run stock with 1.1v.. lol. :p.

I run that when I'm not gaming to conserve power and reduce heat output in my room during summer time, etc.

Hi guys, thank you for your time and your effort to help me. As I'm new to all of this, I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything you are telling me.

I don't know almost anything about thermal compounds, but I think I will try the one that comes with the new cooler, because I think that if I buy a good cooler it will come with a good compound, am I wrong? Or should I buy any specific one?

On the other hand the case I'm using is from my old computer and is an AEROCOOL (not sure about model), all of steel and aluminum, it has the front surface perforated. the psu is located all the way down. It has 2 main fans (i think of 120mm), one is in front, pulling air inwards, and the other is at the back, pushing air out. This case also has three small fans at the door in one side. Any problems about this setting? Should I buy a new case?

Last edited:
Back