• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub zero doesnt like my board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

keny

Ok guys help me out here:confused:, finaly jumped on the sub zero wagon but i cant bench my board as high when running dice as i can when running air, "whats that all about" it was throwing up all sorts of errors random stuff like"flsshing bios do not reset:eek:" and random drive problems, yet i know it to do loads better on air!!!.Obviously the board was cold to the touch but not realy cold , bios was showing -69 on the cpu so i know that was working fine.Ive gave up on the giga board for now and waiting for the pot to cool and then going to mount it on my MSI GD70 and see how that copes.

Oh by the way i did have a fan blowing onto the board but it was sucking some of the cold mist from the pot down, maybe that cooled the board down too much, idont know:shrug:, but first dice session was a big flop but hey you learn by your'e mistakes. If anyone has got any tips feel free to let me know as i would like to get the 145 in the giga board working good instead of "MEH":cry:

Edit: Heres a pic of how the fan was positioned, do you think this is the problem?
8537976e.jpg

Is there any acetone in that pot looks like just dice perhaps I'm wrong

Yeah there is, ive just loaded it up with dice so as not to keep having to do it every minute, under the dice is a good inch or so of acetone boiling it's little *** off.

Did you pull the temp down? I.E. start up the system with nothing in the pot, then slowly add dice to bring down temps. I usually mount the pot, get everything situated, turn on the system and boot to OS, then start bringing the temp down. And like wagex asked, is there anything in the pot besides dice? You can use acetone or rubbing alcohol:sn: ninjaed

Done all that mate. even run a few benches with an empty pot to get the temp up to +40c then brought the temp down with dice and acetone to -69 (according to bios).Its a bad pic i used but it has got acetone in and its boiling away just fine, as its a pain having to keep filling it if you only just cover the acetone, so bang a load in and it lasts a good while

Then your board is just cold bugged. Maybe check the insulation around the pot, and that general area and add a little more. I've personally never had a board cb on me before. I can't see the fan being the cause of your problem, but again I am no guru either

Ive got another 2 boards to try out but that giga was my best bet for a high FSB on the sempy 145,i think i will put extra insulation around the pot on the next attempt, but it was pretty well insulated to be honest, maybe like you said capt its just cold bugged and thats it

Well all that looks pretty good to me, I assume you got a good mount?

Did you have a thermometer to watch the temps?

Well all that looks pretty good to me, I assume you got a good mount?

Did you have a thermometer to watch the temps?

No thermometer,and got a good mount with the pot, but the pot never ran out and every time i went back into the bios it was at -69, dont know if it goes any colder but thats as cold as the bios says it gets:thup:

You could try an insulation method other than completely art eraser. Art eraser doesn't actually "insulate" the board since it transfers cold pretty easily, but it does protect from moisture. Using some foam insulation should prevent or slow cold transfer.

maybe I just went too far, but I always brought my eraser to the edge of the rear connectors near the 8 pin...That could just be me being anal though..

Thanks for the comments guys, just getting set up again on the GD70 and 960T ive got some foam and art eraser on this time (you must have read my mind Matt) , couple of more pics of the next attempt

f10a07af.jpg

3e5cc090.jpg

My spare room is becoming a bit of a dump during this session,best keep the wife away:chair:
924c806b.jpg

Dont mention the peppa pig flanel:attn:

I'm an anti-eraser advocate. Frost King is more of a pain because you have to cut individual pieces for each board, but it's more of an insulator. Your CPU will be nice and cold, but your board will remain insulated. For the future, FWIW.

Thanks Hokie,im paranoid about moisture getting to my boards, hence the eraser.If i get trouble with this board then im just going to cut insulation up and piece it round the board, or even give matts vaseline trick a go. My daughter is home from school now so even the most slightest task is now taking 4 times as long, "little hands helping"

Back