• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Display Port

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iTech

Registered
Can someone tell me what the difference between Display Port and HDMI, the advantages and disadvantages? Thank you much.

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2008/02/19/46464.aspx

Lots of customers I talk to are interested in understanding the differences between DisplayPort and HDMI display interfaces. Recently, I saw a PC World article from Tom Mainelli where he questioned the benefits of DisplayPort compared to HDMI. That's why I wanted to take some time to share Dell's perspective on this. In our view, both interfaces will be increasingly important for PC users and will coexist to meet different product applications.

HDMI is intended as an external consumer electronics connection for HDTVs. It is rapidly replacing S-Video and component video as the primary connection to TV sets. HDMI appears on consumer monitors so that they can be connected to Blu-ray Disc players, game consoles, and other consumer electronics. This allows the monitor to be used as an entertainment display. HDMI is also found on PCs to enable connectivity to HDTVs.

In contrast, DisplayPort is the digital interface for connecting flat-panel displays to computer systems. It will eventually replace VGA, DVI, and LVDS in IT equipment such as home and office PCs, projectors, monitors, and data center consoles. HDMI is not designed to meet these internal and external IT connectivity requirements...it is an external consumer electronics interface.

HDMI is based on legacy CRT raster-scan architecture. DisplayPort is designed for modern flat-panel displays and PC chipsets. DisplayPort has a micro-packet architecture with low voltage signaling that more easily enables networked displays. In the future, DisplayPort will also allow daisy chaining displays at full graphics performance, including 3D. and content protection. Today's USB-based daisy-chaining solutions do not support high performance 3D graphics or protected content.

HDMI has rules for how to implement and use the technology. Business and enterprise customers may not want to implement all of the consumer electronics features that are required in HDMI products. In contrast, DisplayPort is the display equivalent of Ethernet....anyone can implement it in any type of application. A VESA compliance program ensures interoperability for products featuring the "DisplayPort Certified" logo.

DisplayPort supports higher performance as a standard feature-every 6-foot cable supports 10.8 Gbps. With HDMI, high performance is optional and comes at a significant cost premium. DisplayPort has better support for projectors and enables cool ultra-thin monitors. It supports native fiber optic cable and offers latching connectors, features that are missing from HDMI. Down the road, DisplayPort will allow multi-function monitors with a single cable delivering display, audio, and USB connectivity. It will also support multiple monitors on a single connector.

I know there's more to be said on this topic, and we plan to blog more about it in the future. If you have any questions, concerns or comments please let us know here.

From recent personal experience, I can honestly say, at high resolutions (above the 1920x1200 setting), the visible difference between DVI and DisplayPort is undeniable.

I didn't think DisplayPort actually "unlocked" any really high resolutions that were hidden using the DVI connection until I have tested it on a Dell Laptop using a docking station and Dell Ultra Sharp monitor where both pieces had DisplayPort connections and using the DisplayPort cable, Windows display control panel listed resolutions that were much higher than 1920x1200!

Even at 1920x1200, the images and text looked much clearer using DisplayPort connection. This may have a lot to do with using compatible, high-end hardware that supports this connection.

PC: Dell XPS 8300 w/ 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (stock Video card).
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor - Max Resolution 2560 x 1440 (WQHD)
Docking Station: E/Port Plus 210W Port Replicator for Select Dell Latitude Laptops (R537F)

So, depending on your hardware and settings, using DisplayPort could make a huge difference.

From recent personal experience, I can honestly say, at high resolutions (above the 1920x1200 setting), the visible difference between DVI and DisplayPort is undeniable.

I didn't think DisplayPort actually "unlocked" any really high resolutions that were hidden using the DVI connection until I have tested it on a Dell Laptop using a docking station and Dell Ultra Sharp monitor where both pieces had DisplayPort connections and using the DisplayPort cable, Windows display control panel listed resolutions that were much higher than 1920x1200!

Even at 1920x1200, the images and text looked much clearer using DisplayPort connection. This may have a lot to do with using compatible, high-end hardware that supports this connection.

PC: Dell XPS 8300 w/ 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (stock Video card).
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor - Max Resolution 2560 x 1440 (WQHD)
Docking Station: E/Port Plus 210W Port Replicator for Select Dell Latitude Laptops (R537F)

So, depending on your hardware and settings, using DisplayPort could make a huge difference.

You shouldn't notice much of a difference if you used a dual link dvi cable.

You shouldn't notice much of a difference if you used a dual link dvi cable.
You might be correct but since we only had the common single-link DVI-D cables and each new monitor came with a DisplayPort cable not to mention two new 6' dual-link DVI cables would cost like $60 more, DisplayPort cable was the winner by default! :thup:

Back