• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Mobo Time for New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

Well I think I killed my Gigabyte 785GPMT board...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128399

Guess Im just used to my other boards when it comes to CLR CMOS... I installed the CMOS Jumper and powered up the system... Now I get nothing except the fans spinning up. :bang head
Bios chips are soldered to board and Id rather just upgrade.

Anyways, I just need something basic for my HTPC/Media Server.
NewEgg has a combo deal A6-3650 + Asus F1A55-M/CSM FM1 Board for $171
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.835200

Im assuming the A6-360 will be quite a bit better for my needs than a PII 545.

Any opinions?

My cousin has asked me to build a new htpc for him sometime in the next couple months, and so I've done a lot of research on the AMD APUs. Everything that I've read seems to suggest that the A6-3650 has plenty of cpu and gpu power to do everything you need an htpc to do. I've read that the A6-3650 has no trouble with 1080p Blu-Ray playback and 3D Blu-Ray playback. It's only $20 more for the A8-3850 though, and that gets you a faster cpu and a slightly better gpu. If you have a discrete gpu already, then there isn't much advantage in getting the A8-3850, especially if you're going to overclock. I don't recommend overclocking an htpc though, unless you're using a mid or full tower case and adequate cooling.

That's another question I had. Will my current hsf work with a FM1 socket?
It's a Zalman 9900 series.

I've never had the CMOS jumper kill a rig. Pull it off again and see what happens, if it's a 3pin try the other pair.
I've intentionally started them while in reset mode, too.

I've reset cmos correctly, left the battery out for days and nothing...
Power/reset buttons don't work to turn rig off. I've tried one stick of ram and nothing either. Psu is a Corsair 550w and 2 years old.

FM1, AM2, AM2+, AM3 and AM3+ have identical mounting.
Socket 939 is extremely similar as well.

Reading your 1st post raised a red flag with me, you said
I installed the CMOS Jumper and powered up the system
as I don't have that type of MB, does the jumper have to be on to work or off?
In all MB manuals, it always says to make sure power is off and power cord is unpluged before clearing CMOS. For 3 pin types, there is clear setting and working setting, make sure it's set right.

Have you used a new battery? The battery may be dead and not MB.
Good luck and hope it's not too late.

Reading your 1st post raised a red flag with me, you said
as I don't have that type of MB, does the jumper have to be on to work or off?
In all MB manuals, it always says to make sure power is off and power cord is unpluged before clearing CMOS. For 3 pin types, there is clear setting and working setting, make sure it's set right.

Have you used a new battery? The battery may be dead and not MB.
Good luck and hope it's not too late.

Seen plenty of motherboards that were bricked by power up with CmOs jumper in the Clear position. Been a few years now but that was trick we used to RMA a board we did not like. Just jumper to clear cmos position and fire her up. Off to RMA.

I have come across some boards today that will not begin to startup if the CmOs jumper was in the Clear position.

Now that is a trick I have not heard of before.

Seen plenty of motherboards that were bricked by power up with CmOs jumper in the Clear position. Been a few years now but that was trick we used to RMA a board we did not like. Just jumper to clear cmos position and fire her up. Off to RMA.

I have come across some boards today that will not begin to startup if the CmOs jumper was in the Clear position.

Back