• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Components - How am I looking so far?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benen

Hi :)

I'm about to build a new system after selling my is 920 system.
How are my components looking so far? None are purchased yet so please comment on my choices and help with suggestions :)
The system will mainly be used for video and photo editing. Will be using the on-board Intel graphics for now, maybe get something later for games.

Case: Silverstone TJ04B-E
PSU: Corsair AX750
Extra case fans x3: Scythe Gentle Typhoons (AP-15)
Card Reader: ICY BOX 5.25" Multiport Panel
Fan Controller: Lamptron FC5 v2
DVD Drive: Some LG drive (will remove after first windows install)
Boot & App drive: Intel 520 120gb
Media Storage: 320gb Seagate 7200.11 (from old system)
Backup: 2TB WD Green (already purchased)
Mobo: Something Z77
CPU: Something Ivy Bridge
CPU Cooler: Maybe Corsair H100 (this would take both top fan slots. Add an extra 2 fans and have it in push/pull?)
RAM: Not sure yet. G.SKILL Ripjaw something something?

How am I looking so far?

Cheers

Benen

Last edited:
It will be used for photo and video editing mostly so I will used the the built in graphics processor on the CPU to get started. I will probably get something a bit later for games.

If that's the case then that PSU is good but way overkill. Some cost savings can be had there. For the price of RAM these days get 16 GB. Photoshop loves RAM. Make sure there's a backup of all the pics. An external HDD is recommended.

I couldn't really get much advice when asking about the PSU. I chose the 850 so that there is no chance of me needing to replace it for up to a decade. I can't see myself ever getting an SLI or Crossfire setup to be honest. But I don't ever want to be left short. Would something smaller be ample?

If you are only going to use a single mid-range GPU (like GTX 460 or 560), a high quality 400W PSU would be sufficient. 500W if there is a possibility of going to a single high end GPU later. 600W/650W if you will ever want SLI/xfire.

If you are not a heavy gamer, though, I would suggest just getting a 400W and a mid-range card. Mid-range cards nowadays (~$150) are quite powerful.

Really? I an go that small? That's great! What is the point of making PSU's so powerful then?
The AX850 is $245AUD, the AX650 is only $185AUD.

It doesn't have the hybrid silent fan control that the ax750 and ax850 have though.

Yes! They make huge PSUs because people like big numbers, and will pay for them.

And then some people like to run their PSU at 40-50% rated capacity, for higher efficiency. That's true, some PSUs are slightly more efficient at 40-50%, but it's also true that you'll need to keep the PSU running for decades to get the $ difference back in electricity bill.

Aussie! Those prices align with pc case gear prices. That where you buying from? Agreed on the psu. I would consider the Antec TP550 for your use. Or corsair tx 550m. Or the Silverstone Strider 600 Plus. Fully modular. Would do you fine. I'm on my phone at the moment.. but I'll post more later concerning the other components :).

Hey mate! yeah I'm from Adelaide. They are pccase gear prices but I'll probably get the SSD from msy as it is $20 cheaper at the moment. I'd really like my PSU to be top quality. The Corsair series have been absolutely raved about everywhere I read, plus they are a nice looking unit since my case has a window. That's the same reason I want something fully modular also.
As I said, I want something that will be suitable throughout it's entire life which is why I tended to err on the side of something larger than necessary. A good graphics card will pop into my system down the track.

Cheers

Benen

Big PSUs are for high end SLI, 3way SLI/CF, 1k+ PSUs are for quad GPU setups.
If you want to make sure that you have enough PSU for any single card setup I would go for something in the 550-600w range. In general though you only need ~450w for anything in the weight class of say a GTX 460.

overall your picks look good. Id recommend any quality brand RAM in the 1600-1866Mhz range in the 2x4GB configuration. 8GB is overkill be these days it seems silly not to spend the extra $10.

I'll drop my PSU from the AX850 to the AX750. That will save me $30AUD. That will definitely be large enough for any graphics card I'm likely to put in over the next possibly decade? I would go the AX650 but it isn't listed in the Recommended PSU list.

As far as RAM. Ivy bridge will be dual channel right? Everyone seems to go for G.SKILL Ripjaw these days. I'll be using premiere pro a lot which is very ram intensive so I may even go 16gb?
Can you recommend a particular Ripjaw ram set? There are an insane amount to choose from!

Last edited:
There are 6 fan slots in the case and only 3 are filled. I'm not sure what the stock ones are like? I'm assuming good, coming from Silverstone. The thermals of this case seem to be exceptional for its size. Would it be worth getting those 3 extra AP-15's?

This is what ya need to know about buying ramkits.

Timings anything in the rage of 7-7-7, up to ~9-11-9 in the 1600 or 1866 range is considered excellent.
Lower voltage is better.
Heatspreaders are pretty and can interfere with mounting of some CPU coolers, so choose short ones.

The silverstone fans are probably decent. If you go for the H100 that adds 2 more to the setup bringing you up to 5 total fans.

I run both of my desktops with 6 fans. 1 front intake, 1 rear exhaust, 2 bottom exhaust, 2 top intake, but I live in a VERY dusty area plus my rig is on carpet right now. You dont need 6 fans but it definitely doesnt hurt.

Thanks ssjwizard! I'd still leave it at 3 extra fans as the radiator will take up the 2 top fan slots anyway. There is extra space for 2 top fans (or a 120.2 radiator) and one bottom fan slot.

A Corsair CX600 will run a heavily OCed CPU and ANY single GPU card on the market.

If you want that PSU that will last a decade, I'd get the 550W Platinum unit. It's either made by Superflower or Enermax, I can't remember off the top of my head. Don't know if it's available in Aussie either.

Just remember when getting a video cards, NVIDIA is typically preferred over AMD for you type of work. More programs are compatible with CUDA (NVIDIA's propitiatory GPU processing) than OpenGL (open-source, most common option for AMD cards). Depends on the programs though, you'll have to research to see what it supports.

EDIT: Sorry, Superflower is the OEM of the PSU, but it is sold as the Kingwin Lazer Platnium 550W. And I'd dare say it's the single best PSU in that wattage range: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=219

Thanks Knufire, I'm aware that nVidia is preferred for Premiere Pro, I'll definitely wait for Kepler to be released before purchasing my graphics card though as I'm not in any hurry for it to begin with. The system will be better than my old one regardless, and I got by with that.
I thought I was set on my PSU and now I'm back up in the air with it again. The Kingwin is not available where I am purchasing the rest of my items from unfortunately. There is the Seasonic X-660 with is fully modular and highly rated though. I can't see there being much difference between the X-660 and the Corsair AX650.

Back