• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Automatically Overclock with SetFSB and Power Events Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

basicstuff

My Asus 1018P Netbook is stable when overclocked to 2.1GHz with the freeware version of SetFSB from http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/. However, unlike my Asus 1005PE netbook, when I shutdown or restart it freezes, requiring that the AC power and battery be removed for a few seconds. To not freeze, the Front Side Bus must be set to the stock 1.66GHz before shutting down. Here is how I made the netbook automatically overclock when the AC adapter is plugged-in, and also shutdown, restart or sleep without freezing

SetFSB and Task Scheduler. To avoid Window's User Account Control, I launch SetFSB with Window's Task Scheduler. I placed setfsb.exe in “c:\setfsb\” and added this directory to the “Path” settings in Advanced System Properties\Environmental Variables. Version 2.2.134.98 with PLL “ICS9LPR427AGLF” works with the 1018P. See the SetFSB web site for a list of compatible netbooks and notebooks.

In Window's Task Scheduler I created two tasks to launch setfsb.exe with different sets of arguments, one set for the task named “SetFSB 2.1GHz”

-w02 -s124 -cg[ICS9LPR427AGLF] -u1

and one for the task named “SetFSB 1.66GHz”

-w02 -s100 -cg[ICS9LPR427AGLF] -u1

Under the General tab select “Run with highest privileges.” Under Conditions un-select “Start the task only if the computer is on AC power.” In Settings make sure “Allow task to be run on demand” is selected. Neither task is set to run on startup. Once all is working well, adding the -q switch will hide the setfsb.exe GUI window.

Create two desktop shortcuts, with the following “targets:”

C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "SetFSB 1.66GHz"
and
C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "SetFSB 2.1GHz"

Running either task from its shortcut or in a .bat file will launch setfsb.exe without a UAC prompt.

Windows Power Events Monitor and Task Scheduler. My netbook will automatically run at 2.1GHz when plugged-in, and at 1.66GHz when on the battery. Windows Power Events Monitor from http://sourceforge.net/projects/windowspowereve/ monitors whether the netbook is using AC or the battery. When the power source changes, it will run the specified program. I have it set to run the two setfsb tasks. The program is set up with a simple .ini file and two .bat files located in the program's “bin” folder. I set the battery mode file named “h_batt.bat” to run the 1.66GHz task when triggered.

@echo off
schtasks.exe /run /tn "SetFSB 1.66GHz"

The AC mode “h.bat” file runs the 2.1GHz task.

I placed a shortcut for pwr_mon.exe in Window's Startup Folder. Now, whenever the netbook boots, sleeps or restarts, or when the AC adapter is plugged-in or unplugged, pwr_mon.exe runs either the 1.66GHz task or the 2.1 GHz task, depending on whether the netbook is on battery or AC power.

Shortcuts for power management. When overclocked to 2.1GHz, restarting or sleeping the netbook with .bat files instead of the normal Windows commands prevents it from freezing. I created .bat files to first run the 1.66GHz task, wait 15 seconds while setfsb.exe runs, and then run “c:\widows\system32\shutdown.exe” to Shutdown or Restart. For Sleep and Hibernate, I placed nircmd.exe from www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html in “c:\setfsb\”. The Shutdown .bat file is as follows:

@echo off
schtasks.exe /run /tn "SetFSB 1.66GHz"
timeout /t 15
shutdown.exe /s /t 02

For “Restart,” the last line is “shutdown.exe /r /t 02”. For “Sleep” the last line is “nircmd.exe standby” and for “Hibernate" the last line is “nircmd.exe hibernate”.

I then created four desktop shortcuts targeting the .bat files, and added appropriate “power button” icons from “%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll”.

For the normal Windows “Power Plans,” all plans are set to “Put the computer to sleep: Never” when Plugged-in. The netbook’s “power buttons” and “closing the lid “are set to “Do nothing” when Plugged-in. Power plan settings for when “On battery” can continue to be controlled by Windows.

Timed Sleep with Screensaver Operations. To place the netbook in suspend or sleep mode after a certain period of no activity, I run sleep.bat with a screensaver. I first used Window's Iexpress.exe program to convert the sleep.bat file to the executable sleep.exe using the procedures explained at http://renegadetech.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-convert-bat-file-or-vbs-file.html. However, when I renamed the extension “.scr” and tried to run it as a screen saver, I received an error message. Sleep.exe runs fine if I use Screensaver Operations from www.grimadmin.com/staticpages/index.php/ss-operations. This screensaver launches sleep.exe after a set number of minutes. The Windows Power Plans when Plugged-in must be set to “Turn off the display: Never.” To have the netbook not sleep when on AC, set the Screensaver to “None.” To have the netbook not sleep when on battery, the Power Plans’ “Sleep” setting must be set to “Never” and the Screensaver must be set to “None.” The timed running of sleep.bat could also be scheduled with IdleStart from appsapps.info/idlestart.php.

7stacks for Taskbar Icon. The program 7stacks from http://alastria.com/software/7stacks/ allows a single Taskbar icon to launch a “Mac like” vertical stack of icons. I copied the Shutdown, Sleep, Restart, Hibernate, SetFSB 1.66GHz and SetFSB 2.1GHz shortcuts into the folder that 7stacks reads from, plus shortcuts for Screensaver and Power Settings. After adding a red “power button” icon to the shortcut created by 7stacks, I pinned the 7stacks shortcut to the far left on the Taskbar, next to the Start button. One click launches the vertical stack, and a second click shuts-down or changes the fsb.

Last edited:
Back