• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why/How did you get into extreme cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ManWithoutShoes

Hey guys
As a project for school I kinda try to get into extreme/unusual cooling methods. As one part of this project, I want to know why people do it and how they got into it. And that's where i need your help! Write me your little story of how you started and why you're doing it!
Thanks in advance!

I think like any geek, I drawn to it by the undeniable urge to pour liquid nitrogen on a computer :D I had allways wanted to try it, After having a chance to work with a phasechange system after years of wanting to use one it only increased the desire. I Found one cheap, and suddenly that just wasnt cold enough for me. So I kept going colder. Couple that with a little competition from hardware bot.

Its quite a rush to be running bench and be close to taking or take a top ranked spot.

If only i could get my hands on liquid helium cheaply enough :D

You were lunked the benchmark buffetvarticle in another tgread. Check that out for high level teeaks to help u on your way

Gautam, Mark, Ross, and Toddm27 bullied me into it. My second extreme cooling run was at GOOC 2008 or 2009 (whichever was the first one), and I did okay, and couldn't put the cold stuff down since.

We weren't going to win Forum Wars if I didn't (or it would have been less likely anyway), so I made the jump. I'd been benching a bit over a month as I remember, and overclocking not all that much longer.

Back