• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

to DVI or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

morinfen

Registered
so, i got this monitor that comes with a DVI and VGA input. it didn't come with a DVI cable(is it the standard?). so... is it worth the hassle to go to the city and buy a DVI cable? it's fairly ok now, using VGA.

DVI will support setting of higher resolutions than VGA. That's the only real difference.

i use it at 1600x900(that's its max resolution) using the supplied VGA cable. i'm not satisfied with some fringing on the text as i see it now. reducing the text size(browser) somewhat makes it clearer though.

Don't buy cables at stores they are way over priced. Get them from Amazon or somewhere online. I recently got a cable from Amazon by Bluerigger that is really solid. I would recommend their cables.

@juane, the question though is whether i'm going to get an improvement or not. if i will just get a slight improvement using digital instead of analog, i think i will just use my current setup.

@juane, the question though is whether i'm going to get an improvement or not. if i will just get a slight improvement using digital instead of analog, i think i will just use my current setup.

That depends on the monitor and the computer that you have. I just got a new monitor recently that has a vgi and a dvi port. My laptop only has vga and hdmi, so initially I was connecting my laptop to the external monitor with a vga cable. I got a lot of interference with the vga connection on my laptop. My laptop's vga port doesn't have the holes for the screw pins which I think help to ground the cable. Without being able to screw in the cable to my laptop I was getting these weird waves going up and down my screen. When I connected the monitor to my desktop using vga it was crystal clear. I ended up getting an hdmi to dvi cable from bluerigger and now the monitor looks great connected to my laptop. In my case, the dvi cable made a big difference in image quality when connected to my laptop. The vga connection looks good with my desktop, but even though I have both PCs set to 1080p the monitor looks better when connected to my laptop.

Anyway... that's my recent experience with vga and dvi. I personally think it's worth it. Digital connections always look better to me than analog connections. Not everyone thinks the difference is that big of a deal though.

Personally I noticed a huge difference going from VGA to DVI with my cheapo acer monitor. With vga it was fuzzy almost blurry, with dvi it is crystal clear.

Monoprice = good cheap cables

i was kind of looking for a closeup shot of the screen at the same resolutions comparing DVI and VGA but found none... i'll post a macro shot tomorrow.

how overpriced is overpriced? i'll be getting it for about 8USD for a 1.5m 24+1 cable.

seems like a good price, but compare the final price (add shipping) it to another suggested store. also compare it to something just a little bit longer, just in case you need it in the future. when i bought some cables a couple years ago, sometimes I would even see longer ones for cheaper...supply and demand i guess

so... here's the direct comparison between DVI and VGA

a0hwco.png.jpg ncfa4x.png.jpg

can you guess which one is digital and which one is analog? i couldn't. the DVI is just a teeny bit sharp compared to VGA but it could be the autofocus of my camera. too lazy to take the DSLR out of the box. i also just took a limited amount (three) of pictures to get this over with.

the fist picture is the one taken using VGA. here's another view.

jb4a5v.png.jpg

i found out that DVI is still better than VGA because i get interference which is visible when the display is about 80% black. using DVI gets rid of the interference 100%.

total spent: $7US

VGA can pick up interference (I get to deal with this with my docking station at my other house for my laptop). VGA also blurs text a little bit at 1080p on my monitors. It's nothing bad, and i probably wouldn't notice if i hadn't run one VGA and one DVI next to each other for a few days, but there difference is there.

In general, I think it depends on your display adapter and the monitor. I have tested both on a range of monitors...and have seen significant differences.

And for cables, monoprice.com is the king. I just bought two high-quality 10 foot DVI-D cables there for less than 15 beans.

it could be that buying a better VGA cable might have solved my problems since 1600x900 is not that high.

Make sure you get a single-link DVI cable if that's what your monitor has....I found out the hard way. I bought 3 DVI cables for $25 online and turns out they are dual-link and i'm unable to use them
Nevermind...Didn't read every post and didn't think you had gotten it yet :D :p

Back