• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with a newly installed network.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malpine Walis

Disabled
We have a file server running NT and 20 computers running win/98. For the network, we have a 24 port switch and a separate router which connects to a DSL line.

One of the 98 machines has no problem with the internal network but is having a problem with the internet. When I was asked to find the problem, I tried both netscape 4.5 and IE. Neither of them was able to find so much as a home page.

Today, I tried using the ping utility to get to about a half dozen sites. I discovered that I have no problem with sites that are geographically close but I cannot get to sites that are over some distance away. Since I have only tried to connect to a few sites, I have not been able to isolate just how far away I can connect. I suppose that traceroute would allow me to tell just how far away I can connect.

I could use some help here. At this point, my best guess is that there is a rather short value set for "Time to live" in the registry.

Any ideas?

Oni said:
I'd say just change your TTL in the registry. Set it to about 3 minutes. That should be plenty.

Thanks, that was pretty much what I thought. Now can you give me any clue where I will find the key that I need for that?

And yes, I am sure that three minutes would be more than enough.

Back