• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scored a G5 Proliant for $150. After 8 years, I'm back in it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Super stoked on this! I haven't really done the whole "cool computer" thing since my Athlon XP 1700+ build and have been out of the loop for a bit.

Here are the specs on the new rig:

HP Proliant DL360 G5p - $150
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12476_div/12476_div.HTML

- 2x Xeon E5430 2.66GHz quad core processors (1333FSB, 12Mb L2 cache, 45nm, 85 watts) - $90

- Used EVGA 9500GT OCed to 585 core, 1450 Shader, 550 RAM (In a 1U server I can't get any air to it, especially under full load my temps are through the roof) - $30

- 16GB Fully Buffered Dimms PC2-5300 (came with the server)

- Total of 6 36GB 10k RPM SFF Serial Attached SCSI drives (2 came with, 4 on the way with an HP P400i raid controller in the mail as well) - $85

Total in on this, about $355

Last edited:
It seems to be doing pretty good, 12k+ points so far today. Does this seem like pretty normal production for what is in essence two Core 2 Quads, a 9500GTX, and two Core2Duo laptops?

Also, is this something I should try running the -bigadv flag on or are those work units too hefty for just 8 cores?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Charles will know about the level of production - but welcome back!

You HAVE been gone a long time. Like to invite you to join us in a team race in May.

Setup will be anytime you want between May 1st and May 4th. Race starts May 5th at Noon!

It's pretty amazing - more details in April, so stay tuned, OK?

Will do! And just a heads up for everyone else, keep an eye on craigslist! Servers go for next to nothing these days. You never know if you might find a g6 or g7 proliant capable of carrying even newer gen processors than what I have.

Last edited:
Thanks folks! I'll try to get some pics of it up tonight. I might try getting some blowers off ebay to shove some air through the 1U heatsinks and take all the components out of the server chassis. Eighteen 40mm fans spinning at 25,000 RPM is just too much for my ears to handle when it gets hot.

The only thing is, I'm not sure if the HP BIOS is going to shut down the server unless it detects these high RPM fans. :(

I'm not sure on the specifics for that server, but it will probably complain quite loudly. You'd be better off putting it in a different room.

You won't be able to disabling monitoring of it, for sure.

Well, bummer, I just tried running it with the top panel off and a blower in there to keep the temps down and the 40mm fans from spooling up as fast. Unfortunately I learned having the case closed is the only thing that gets air to the PSU's. Thank god for redundancy because I just smoked one of them. :-/

On another note, I'm red!

The case has to be closed or the psu gets no air? That's unexpected!

Now you know why I dislike server cases - I find myself inexplicably reaching for a shotgun which I do not own, so I can shoot the "turbines" into blissful silence. Can't stand that racket.

The case has to be closed or the psu gets no air? That's unexpected!

Now you know why I dislike server cases - I find myself inexplicably reaching for a shotgun which I do not own, so I can shoot the "turbines" into blissful silence. Can't stand that racket.

Unfortunately yes. :( If the case is open, or if any of the 18 40mm fans aren't screaming at full power for takeoff, it is not happy. Part of my problem is that this thing sits on top of a metal filing cabinet. I just bought a bunch of foam that should at least take care of the vibrations/resonance a bit.

setting up my poweredge 2850 today :D cant wait to see how it folds, gonna need to figure out how to monitor temperatures though.
What operating system? If Linux, "sensors" should detect them fine. If Windows, any of the programs you would normally use will work.

thanks thiddy, its got server 08 sp1 on it right now but neither core temp or hwmonitor are reading anything :(
Is it being run as admin? I don't have a system to try this on, but it should read just fine. I'd suggest messaging The Coolest, as he is the developer of CoreTemp. He might be able to help figure out why it is not showing.

Is it being run as admin? I don't have a system to try this on, but it should read just fine. I'd suggest messaging The Coolest, as he is the developer of CoreTemp. He might be able to help figure out why it is not showing.

which only works for core2 or newer iirc, and it looks like 2850 might be older dual MP xeons

I forgot that pre-Conroe didn't have very good sensors. It should be in the ACPI tables, though. SpeedFan, Everest, etc should read them.

Back