• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II x4 955 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danstar1123

Registered
I want to over clock my AMD Phenom II x4 955 but am unsure about how to do so, I have AMD Vision control center, so what have you guys gotten your Phenom II x4 955s to?

We need a bit more information on your HW.

Please provide the following info:

Motherboard: Brand/Model
PSU: Brand/Model
RAM: Brand/Model
Cooling: What kind of cooling you have on the CPU. Brand/Model if possible.

Pro Tip #1: Do NOT use AMD Vison Control center to overclock. You'll be doing that from the BIOS.

I'll be checking in on this and will have more information for you once you've provided the requested details.

Sebas.

my mother board is a asus M4A89GTD pro series
psu XFX 650 watt xxx edition
ram is cruial 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 4 gigs
cooling is a zalman cnps 9900

Some people get the 955 to 4.0 ghz on very good air cooling. Your cooler is certainly better than the stock boxed one but not top drawer either. I would be surprised if it will cool well enough to get you more than about 3.7-3.8.

AMD Vision? Is that software overclocking? Those won't get you very far. The best overclocking is done manually in bios.

how do i go about overclocking in bios? what do i have to change and what should i change it to?

That's not the place to start. The place to start is to download and install some programs that are standard tools for overclockers. These programs don't actually do the overclocking but they report system information and bios settings, measure temps and voltages and "stress test" the overclocking attempts. So download and install "CPU-z", "HWMonitor" and "Prime95".

once i get those installed then what should i do

You should check for core temps and CPU (CPU "socket") temps to make sure your cooler is seated properly and your thermal pastes is applied properly, i.e. that you are getting appropriate temps at stock settings and voltages. This will also give us an idea of how much overclocking room you have.

So, open up HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run 20 minutes of the Prime95 "torture" blend test. Then report back to us what were the maximum core and CPU temps you experienced.

so i have several temperatures here so I'll give you them all, under the ASUSTek category in temperatures for the CPU is 42C. under AMD PHENOM II X4 955 is core #0 51C, core #1-3 50C.

Please use HWMonitor (a freeware program) to monitor temps. It also gives a ton of other information about system temps and voltages all in a concise format.

But from the information you just gave you only have a very little temperature headroom to overclock. It is commonly conceded that overclocked AMD CPUs start to become unstable at a core temp of about 55 C. and you are already hitting 50-51 C. I wonder about your case ventilation. Tell us about the make and model of your case and the fans. How many fans? How big are the fans? Where are they placed in the case and which direction are they blowing?

Bed time for me.

im using a zalman z9 plus case, it has 4 fans in it, one in the lower front blows in, one on top in the rear blows out, one in the side down near the graphics card pulls in, and on in the top back blows out, all fans 120mm. I did use HWMonitor, i just tried to sum it up.

I'm sorry, I thought all those temps came from the Asustek monitoring utility.

Your case seems to have adequate ventilation. Tell me how you applied your thermal paste and how much you used. Many beginners use way too much thinking if a little is good then a lot will be that much better. The opposite is true. And it shouldn't be spread with your finger or a credit card or anything else. It should simply be squeezed out of the tube as small blob onto the center of the CPU and then the cooler should be clamped down. The pressure should be allowed to spread the paste. And the blob should be somewhere between the size of a BB and a pea.

I should walk around these forums with a link to an RGone post. Hey, link this, this, this, and read this!

I had a Black Phenom x4 955 just before my 6200 build and on a Hyper 212+ I couldn't get it passed 3.9ghz without the temperatures making me cry. At 4.0ghz, on test 2 of blend, it got to 60c, so I just shut it off and went back to 3.8ghz. Something to chew on after you post some pictures and read a bit.

My conviction is that Dolk's guide and others like it are more helpful after someone has put in some hands on time in actual overclocking with some guidance from those with more experience. There is just too much that is foreign to those just starting when they start with reading a guide.

My conviction is that Dolk's guide and others like it are more helpful after someone has put in some hands on time in actual overclocking with some guidance from those with more experience. There is just too much that is foreign to those just starting when they start with reading a guide.

I feel just the opposite. The guides provide some background, terminology, methodology and tools for the beginner. Play with it a bit then you'll be able to ask better questions. More importantly when we suggest increasing voltage and monitoring temp, it's not totally foreign to them.

ok, now as far as my fan cooling my CPU and me putting too much thermal paste. how would i go about fixing that problem.

ok, now as far as my fan cooling my CPU and me putting too much thermal paste. how would i go about fixing that problem.

Remove heatsink and fan. See how much paste you really have on there. Clean off old paste (TIM). Re-seat and install HSF.

I put no more than a small pea size blob in the middle of the CPU and let the pressure and heat spread it out. But there's a lot of differing opinions and guide out there. The only consensus is to much is not good.

Back