• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA Launches GEFORCE GTX 680, aka Kepler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well...this GPU is (very painfully) heading to MattNo5ss for the rest of its review. I have, um, something else coming that's going to take up all my time and just couldn't do this nice piece of hardware justice. Alas, parting is such sweet sorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
G rated forum folks. Do we want the removed image to be someone's first experience on our forums?

Last edited:
PG rated forum folks. Do we want the removed image to be someone's first experience on our forums?

Sorry about that, thought it fit the description pretty well. I honestly thought it was just a picture/screenshot from the show didn't realize it was a gif until I went back to it after seeing it removed

Ditto. And when are we gonna be able to download the new tech demos for ourselves? I keep checking nvidia's site..

HD7970 versus the GTX680 at the same clockspeed:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/37209-geforce-gtx-680-vs-radeon-hd-7970-clocks/

The GTX680 is still faster it seems, plus the power draw is obviously increased further with the HD7970, although the difference is only around 5% on average between the two.

Yep, and this article is biaised: on every bench, the 680@stock is faster/better than the 7970 overclocked, and still, it says that, visually, they "could not make a difference"... Of course, between 55 and 65 FPS, the human eye (inless being bionic!) doesn't make any difference.

But in the coming games taking advantage of this 10/15% extra fps, then it wil be visible: 40 vs 45/48 DOES make a visual difference. And let's not even talk of multi displays setups.

HD7970 versus the GTX680 at the same clockspeed:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/37209-geforce-gtx-680-vs-radeon-hd-7970-clocks/

The GTX680 is still faster it seems, plus the power draw is obviously increased further with the HD7970, although the difference is only around 5% on average between the two.

Depends on where you go and what games are benchmarked... http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680_14.html#sect0

There half the time the 7970 is beaten and the other half the 680 is beaten... its the same right the way across the Internet, there is so little between them for me there is no 'clear' performance winner.

Its pretty clear there is a winner when averaging things out (IMHO). In your link Frakk, in the stock vs stock graph (as clock for clock comparisons are frankly asinine to me - you are overclocking one card with a COMPLETELY different architecture to match another card's clockspeeds which makes no sense) it wins 12 of 18 benchmarks @ 1920x1080 w/ AA (the most common resolution). Some games just work better naturally with different implementations and some are TWIMTBP games and others sponsored by AMD. So you add up winning in most games/benchmarks, costing $50 less, using less power, and quieter in reference form, it seems pretty clear to me(most) who stands a bit taller between the two. Excluding the other stuff and focusing on performance for the majority (1920x1080 or less) its still heads above the rest in most cases. The only way I can see that stance holding water is if you only play the 2 games where there is actually a difference (AvP, Civ V). Will you notice some of the differences, like the hexus article said, you really dont, but that is when the other factors come in to play (price, power, noise).

Performance wise it wasnt a knockout punch (wins across the board), that I agree with, but it sure was a solid left to the chin (winning most, a lot handily 10%+), especially being a 'mid-range' card if you go by the core used. Then it took a few more body blows with the pricing/power side of the house... so then you have a softened fighter.

Boxing analogy FTL! :p

Last edited:
Hey Frakk:
“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” -Winston Churchill

I LOVE it!

Back