• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA Launches GEFORCE GTX 680, aka Kepler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^ Yeah, I don't see the point of buying this card if you're gaming at 1680x1050 on a 460. If you really want a new card maybe waiting until a '660ti' comes out. Or just SLI your 460 on the cheap.

Also, considering the fact that once the 690(or 695) comes out(dual gpu) I may have the ability to buy a GTX 590 from a friend for killer cheap. Something like $200. I will jump on that all day anyday.

So far, from what I've read in this thread is : Hold on, the big guns will be here shortly.

Depends on your definition of "shortly". GK110 rumors have launching in August if all goes well.

680 wise I am tempted, but the general execution seems to jive with the core name. The power delivery section is meh, the overclocking appears to be difficult at best. Most importantly for me personally there are very, very, very few submissions with them on HWBot. What submissions there are are all at fairly low clock speeds (the TiN special doesn't count, heh), while the 7970s are all doing 1200 or better on the stock cooler.

Valid points. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when companies like EVGA release their non-reference cards with things like 5 phase power with 8+6 connectors. Hopefully that will improve things on the overclocking front.

Copying this over from the other thread. It's pretty important. :)

NVIDIA to Launch GeForce GTX 670Ti and GTX 670 in May 2012, No GTX 560Ti Replacement till 2H 2012

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-launch-geforce-gtx-670ti-gtx-670-2012-gtx-560ti-replacement-2h-2012/

NVIDIA is said to launch two more Kepler GK104 products in the upcoming months – The GeForce GTX 670Ti and GeForce GTX 670. The details were gathered by Andrew Gibson AKA “Gibbo” (OCUK Procurement Manager) who had access to some of the latest NVIDIA roadmaps, He has further detailed that the Mid-Range GTX 560Ti Replacement Aka GTX 660 would not be launched until much later in 2012.

The GeForce GTX 670Ti and GTX 670 would be Gk104 based products replacing the GeForce GTX 580/570 at a price range of £320/£240 respectively. Performance of these parts would be lesser than the flagship GeForce GTX 680 due to lower clockspeed/cores, In return they would again provide a competitive Performance and Price per watt. Both GPU’s would feature 2GB GDDR5 Memory running across a 256-bit wide memory interface, GPU manufacturers could later aim for 4GB models, Galaxy/EVGA are already working on 4Gb variants of GeForce GTx 680.

The sad news is that we won’t be looking at any Mid-Range replacement for the 560Ti till late 2012. Low end parts 620/640 series would be a rebrand of the past Fermi based GPU’s. Also for now, GTX 680 would remain the flagship , NVIDIA could release a faster flagship card this year in October-December timeframe if rival AMD comes up with another refresh allegedly the Sea Island based 8000 Series in the upcoming months.

So far, from what I've read in this thread is : Hold on, the big guns will be here shortly.

As such, I'm going to holster my urge to buy one of these cards(even though it would Claymore explode my 460*very nasty stuff that claymore* and basically run as fast as 3 of them in SLI)

As of Right now, My Gaming resolution is 1680x1050. At this res, My GTX 460 can handle BF3 on ultra with 30-45 FPS. certainly, the occasional dip in fps caused by heavy combat is there, but not enough to warrent buying a $500 vid card.(yet.)

This is easy. Buy a bigger monitor.

Someone had asked about '06 on this card. It seems about the same as the 7970 tbh. This was a very quick overclock. 2600K @ 5300, GTX680 @ +130 core, +100 (actual) mem. I have no idea if that's anywhere near the max, it was set-and-run in about ten minutes.

3d06-oc1-cwm.jpg

Good news hokie :D

I canceled my MSI 680 (backordered) and ordered an in-stock evga, should ve here friday or early next week!

Also, the "K" part of the 3930K is not what separates it from SB to SB-E. The 3930k is on socket 2011 (which makes it SB-E), while 2600k/2500k are SB and s1155.

I'm getting a bit rattled at the repeated assertion (and subsequent proof showing otherwise) that 2GB on cards is too little for SINGLE MONITOR operation. Let that point go already. ;)

1. Its still not a true SB-E. But the only true difference is some smaller cache and a bit lower stock clock. However, in as good as any condition it wont be noticed, and the clock can easely be pumped up to equal levels. So for now i say...indeed. K type is basically a alternate X-type... Intel you are funny! Not that i worry because i use a Nehalem and i will not get any SB, i will upgrade next at IB (because i need backup PC). Guess reason Intel like that, because they CAN... milk.

At the Nehalem X-type there was still a good reason to get X-type because the I7 970 didnt have a open multi (harder to OC). So the 990X was more ahead of the second one and it even got a special (better than standart) Intel cooler included (not the case for SB-E).

2. Its not to little for single monitor at current time, but i do not feel secure for +5 years. Although i usualy get new GPU every 2-3 years, its still nice to be more future proof. The thing i worry the most is.. when i sell that GPU after 2-3 years and then the buyer may say "nah... its 2 GB only... i rather get a 3-4 GB because many games already very close to the limit"... that means the selling price is not very satisfying. And im sure there is 4 GB standart out soon, so we simply get some "bad in between deal". And i mean, its a card of high price range. You could get some 6950 for less than half price (such as i got), with same RAM amount. When i buy highend i kinda expect to have more of everything, compared to much cheaper mid range, no matter its current use.

Anyway, 4 GB out soon... just have to wait and in that term im able to wait because i wait for a good IB... and may probably get a aftermarket 680+ type by end of year. But at current time, choice would be hard.

Last edited:
Look, Nvidia currently got the better non eyefinity gamer card but they like to milk. Something i do not appreciate, thats why i always told to wait for aftermarket and they surely will make way to many upgrades.

From benches it looks like the GTX680 is equal to or better than the HD7970 at 5760x1080 or less. The GTX680 also uses less power, creates less heat, makes less noise, and even costs less. What is being milked?

By the time more than 2GB of vRAM is needed on a resolution less than triple screen, the GTX680 and HD7970 will be old as dirt (in PC years) and there will be much better cards available performance wise that will also have more vRAM...

What am I missing :confused:

The cost of the 4GB version over the 2GB will probably make it a waste of cash to me, but if prices were very close then I guess I'd consider it.

Last edited:
Those who think they do not miss something, will soon notice a huge miss. Nvidia can do better than that, same for Intel, but as long as it can give the feeling and result of a better deal, there is no need to be even better. Anyway, congrats everyone to theyr stuff and hopefully happiness may last longer than i expect.

Lulz, how come in that article they (nvidia) say that SB-E isn't native pcie 3.0?

I was almost 100% sure it was...

Lulz, how come in that article they (nvidia) say that SB-E isn't native pcie 3.0?

I was almost 100% sure it was...

It's capable not I believe it's not certified.
Check on Intel x79 website
PCI Express* 2.0 Interface Offers up to 5 GT/s for fast access to peripheral devices and networking with up to 8 PCI Express 2.0 x1 ports, configurable as 2 x1s and 1 x4 depending on motherboard designs.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/x79-express-chipset.html

Kind of funny. Seems Intel has been having issues with chipsets lately. They fix it but I wish they would solve issues like this before hand.

Well...this GPU is (very painfully) heading to MattNo5ss for the rest of its review. I have, um, something else coming that's going to take up all my time and just couldn't do this nice piece of hardware justice. Alas, parting is such sweet sorrow.

Back