• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Chimp Challenge 2012

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
we had such a format discussed in our Contests thread
if we didn't use it - we can use it internally

the only problem I see is if teams get help(mergers) - this doesn't allow EVGA much room to catch up...we probably won't be getting help - and probably OCN won't either

us two would have to do it based on team membership drive alone - the team wouldn't go outside for help because it would feel like we cheated the others

however I think EVGA has enough PPD growth to overcome any small teamup - if OCN got help it be tough though...give us more incentive to hit a new record

you do realize EVGA has a set goal of reaching 1Billion PPM this year, with [H] pushing us..and you should look at [H] numbers they are gaining on EVGA
a good race is what we needed - a good race is what all the teams need

I myself am waiting to put GPU's in my new 3930K rig - currently waiting to see which card to purchase (folding ability is one factor)
then I start my new build after that... doing my part for science and the team

as for the idea ...this is what I said EVGA might do to even out a PPD race (it what I said to zodac)

I can run it by our team... see what they think...should have an answer tomorrow

Last edited:
Good!

This format depends on a good handicapper setting some values for the Boost, but if no one objects, I'll do it, or show someone how to do it. Only the first year should be tricky.

Since it uses points as the handicap, instead of percentages, there would be no need for a second bracket in the race, which will please most of the folders who have commented on that matter. The two brackets format just never quite caught on fire.

I'll chat with you tomorrow then, and thanks for your work on this, Xavier.

Adak - you are gonna lose me for a few days
my 92yr father went into the hospital today....have a 90yr mom to care of and things to do

Ive asked someone from EVGA to step in so you will have a new face
I don't know who yet...so it will be a surprise

Thanks for the heads up, Xavier. Wishing your father the best.

After a good deal of thought, I've come to the conclusion that the CC race needs to change to a "whole team" concept, instead of the current "individual" sign up by changing your username and passkey on every folding rig.

In the first two years of the CC, the "individual" sign up was needed, because we needed a way to identify the racing sub-teams on each team, from their larger parent team. So it was a good and useful idea at that time.

When the race changed to whole teams, that idea stayed as a loyalty or elitist test, and I was OK with that.

Then I saw the divisions that crept into our team, and devastated the [H]ardOCP team, and changed my mind. That kind of divisiveness should have no place in a team of any kind. If it can happen with these teams, it can and probably will happen, to every team that joins us in the CC race, if we are still using the obsolete individual sign up, requirement.

So this year, I'm trying to have the CC change over to a whole team concept, instead. We've used the "individual" team idea for 6 years (going on 7 now), and isn't it time to give the other idea a turn at bat?

I believe so.

Last edited:
Besides the whole team idea debate, Zodac (CC captain for OCN), wants a point scheme that favors the bigger teams.
Zodac said:
However, in a fair system overall, there would be some form of recognition (which would influence the result) of the fact that HWC only produced the 6th highest amount of actual points.

In her formula projection, big surprise, OCN would have won last year, instead of placing third! (I am shocked). :p

That is not a handicap race then. In a handicap race, every racer should reach the finish in a dead heat (all even), if they all give 100% effort.

A trophy for the biggest raw point producer during the CC would be fine, or even a separate bracket, with the winner of it getting a jaded monkey with a different color on it - but this attempt at an obvious skew to favor big teams, in the handicap race, is completely unacceptable.

We've been round and round with this, over at OCN, with very little progress. Zodac wants to use Zodac's formula.... yes, but it's skewed -- Zodac wants to use Zodac's formula... yes, but it's skewed.

It would really be hilarious if I was chatting with an echo bot - heck of an April Fool's prank to pull.

Last edited:
ATM the "no change in name required" to race, is looking good. Suggestion has been made to try it one time, this year, and I believe it will carry the votes needed.

The HPCS "fold in the cloud for free" service will be stopping May 10th, so the idea has been suggested to push the race back until after that date.

The HPCS "fold in the cloud for free" service will be stopping May 10th, so the idea has been suggested to push the race back until after that date.

And who, pray tell, suggested pushing the race back until the HPCS free for all ends? Just curious.

And who, pray tell, suggested pushing the race back until the HPCS free for all ends? Just curious.

I believe it was EVGA, but it's been echoed by a couple different people in the CC forum. It certainly was not me - I thought HPCS had already cut down the give-away service, to nearly nothing.

I'm campaigning hard to get the "no name change required to race" option, put into this year's CC. Most folders want this change, but one very influential captain, does not.

One folder has said he'd rather fold for another team than be "forced" to fold in the CC race, with his own team. I can't wrap my head around that whole concept. :D

I'm campaigning hard to get the "no name change required to race" option, put into this year's CC. Most folders want this change, but one very influential captain, does not.

To be blunt, from experience elsewhere, you are wasting your time on the keyboard with her. Good luck.

To be blunt, from experience elsewhere, you are wasting your time on the keyboard with her. Good luck.

It's frustrating. We don't have a race committee director, so all decisions are made only with general consensus building at an agonizingly slow speed. We've had these little round shapes go zipping past us in a blur, lately. I got whiplash trying to get a picture of what they were, but I did finially get a clear picture of what's putting our speed on the CC decisions, to shame:

snail1.jpeg

I don't like "no name change required."

I'll put what I can in the race either way.

Good to have you racing with us, again!

I didn't like it before, either. After seeing the [H]ardApes self-destruct over the issue however, I've changed my mind. Can't afford to lose good teams over it, when we want to bring more teams into the CC.

Should have an announcement on the starting date and etc., soon.

And I like the idea of folding under my own F@H username for the contest. I generally only fold for the challenge, since I am involved in BOINC projects and it would be nice for the points I contribute to the CC show under my own username. I think whoever is throwing the monkey wrench :D into doing this is being very short sighted and keeping outsiders from contributing to the project, all because they don't like the idea of consolidating all the usernames for the CC. :shrug:

I would just like to see this finally settle so I could get down to some science. Isn't that what this whole thing is really about?

Your feelings are shared, trust me. We have some much needed updates to the CC, that need to be made.

The purpose of the CC - how about:

1) to have fun.

2) to raise awareness and "buzz" for FAH. Asking a friend to join you in a folding race, is a pretty good way to introduce someone to folding.

3) even though it's mostly temporary, during the CC, a LOT more wu's get finished.

This year, the captains got a slow start on making the changes - not every captain and team, wanted them. The CC wouldn't thrive without them, however.

Looks like I'll be stepping down from working with the CC.

The captains don't share my vision for the CC moving forward with the racers being allowed to keep their own folding handle, or for a primarily handicapped race. It's not that we're not moving forward, it's that we're sliding backwards - s-l-o-w-l-y, to be sure, but backwards. :D

Without a race director calling the harder decisions, the CC captains are mired in molasses. Some have never raced before. Unless things change, this year's CC will be a gimme for one of the two big teams in the race - again.

Edit: Yes, I have stepped down from working with the CC, and notified David.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be stepping down from working with the CC.

The captains don't share my vision for the CC moving forward with the racers being allowed to keep their own folding handle, or for a primarily handicapped race. It's not that we're not moving forward, it's that we're sliding backwards - s-l-o-w-l-y, to be sure, but backwards. :D

Without a race director calling the harder decisions, the CC captains are mired in molasses. Some have never raced before. Unless things change, this year's CC will be a gimme for one of the two big teams in the race - again.

Edit: Yes, I have stepped down from working with the CC, and notified David.

I have almost decided to step down from my team as well. They are starting to act like a bunch of 5 year olds and I am embarrassed to represent them. I share your vision Adak, but unfortunately, the more influential people on EVGA do not. Even if I do not step down I have already decide that this will be the last CC I participate in.

The CC can be great fun, I wouldn't swear off it. Problem is, we don't have a race director. You need that person in charge, who knows what he/she is doing, to make the tough decisions, and quit the endless arguing - especially when it involves everybody who wants their 10 cents worth of argument, from a team.

"My stats are better than your stats" - Seriously?? That was a new argument I'd not seen before. :rofl:

@devdog51:

I have a way to get the stats automatically, on an hourly basis. It's not simple and smooth just yet (but getting much better), because I haven't programmed net anything before, but it will do as a back up system, if you need it.

This runs on Windows 7, but not on Linux, etc.

Perhaps someone at OCN could assist if Zodac asked. The "if's" and "maybe's" for using last year's website this year, are getting longer and longer.

Last edited:
Back