• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H, a new chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norcalsteve

This link was posted at [h]... But it deserves max visibility, in case you guys don't troll all over the web like I do

http://folding.typepad.com/news/201...apeutic-candidate-for-alzheimers-disease.html

I'm very excited to finally talk about some key new results from our lab. *These results have been a long time in coming and in many ways represents a major achievement for Folding@home (FAH) in general, demonstrating that the approach we started 10 years ago can make significant steps forward in our long term goals.

Specifically, our long term goals have been to 1) develop new methods to tackle the computational challenges of simulating protein folding; 2) apply these methods to gain new insights into protein folding; 3) use these methods and new insights to simulate Aß protein misfolding, a key process in the toxicity of Alzheimer's Disease (AD); and finally 4) to use those simulations to develop new small molecule drug candidates for AD. In the early years of FAH, we concentrated on the first two goals above. *In the last 5-7 years, we have worked to accomplish the third goal. *I'm now very excited to report our progress on the last goal –– using FAH for the development of new therapeutic strategies for AD.

Rest is at the link above

Keep on foldin!

You can also check out all the blog posts of Vijay (Our Fearless FAH Leader), at the main blog page:

http://folding.typepad.com/news/

It's taken a long time, and there's a ton more to do, but slowly, the knowledge is bringing more leverage to bear on medical research.

I know! It's all exciting news! And withe the speedier computers (and exponentially growing) medical research will be following suit with the tech!

Unintentionally humorous article from that thread: Charity is not about helping

This is what happens when a logician dabbles in science based on incorrect presuppositions. You'd think a logician/coder would realize logical output is 100% reliant on correct input, but evidently not.

Above all remember this, based on French nuclear fraction: "French users can run Folding@home with 75% cleaner conscience that the rest of us"

Never be this guy :p

Back