• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Core 2 Duo E6750 (Stock)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxkmanxx

Registered
I'm new to overclocking. I have a Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66ghz with a Asus Maximus Formula Motherboard. I want to know what speed I could i get up to with stock cooling. I don't want to overclock that much right now, since I'll only be using stock cooling. I just have a few questions:

1. What is a good and stable temperature for overclocking?
2. What are some good overclocking tools for like stress testing and benchmarking?
3. Is there a good overclocking guide or book anyone could recommend?
4. Is it easy to mess up my CPU?

Thanks

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz
Ram: 2x2GB G. Skill F2-8500CL5-2GBPK 5-5-5-15
Ram: 2x2GB OCZ OCZ2P10662G 5-5-5-18
Total Ram: 8GB
PSU: 400 WT PSU
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula
Chipset: X38
Southbridge: 82801IR (ICH9R)

Here's a great guide to get you started:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

Personally I would aim to keep a distance of at least 25c between your load temps and TJMAX. I prefer to use Prime95 for stress testing and would consider atleast a 24hr error free run in small, large and blend to be stable.

If you can, try to keep your vcore and vtt down and the best way for that is to overclock incrementally rather than aiming at a certain speed right out of the gate. It's really a lot of trial and error before you figure out your CPU's ceiling. It's ok to use the stock cooler (I do on my E6600) but if temperatures become a problem you'll either need to swap for better cooling or lower your overclock.

I will say that your mismatched 8GBs could very well prevent you of achieving a higher, stable overclock. If you feel that your chip hasn't bottlenecked yet you'll want to try 4GBs instead.

So my mismatched Ram could hurt my overclock ability?

I have a little memory question. After i added my last set of G. Skill DDR2 RAM i noticed my bios/boot messages/info said DDR2-800 instead of the DDR2-1066 that both sets are, even tho it's set to auto in the bios. Also in CPU-Z it says DRAM Freq. is 400MHz, FSB:DRAM is 5:6. On the timmings table in the SPD tab the OCZ RAM has JEDEC 1,2, and 3; and the G. Skill only has 1 and 2. It says max bandwidth is PC2-6400 (400MHz). Is there something wrong or am I jus over examining everything?

Also what is a good normal temperature, without overclocking? I just want to make sure my temperature isn't already high. Coretemp says TJMAX 95C, Both Cores, MIN 38C MAX ~90C (Prime95 Torture Test). This temp is prob to close to the TJMAX, right? I prob need better fans, i think one is screwy and turns off and on.

Thanks

Last edited:
You have to manually set the memory timings in the bios, never use auto. Just follow the specs on the box/ram. They could hinder your overclock especially using mixed brands but you won't know until you try.

90c is way too high. You'll have to get those temperatures down first.

I think I'm going to wait on the OC until i get better cooling / more fans. Now about my memory. Both sets of G. Skill and OCZ are DDR2 1066. I changed the DRAM FREQ value in bios from auto to DDR2 1066 and set my timing to 5-5-5-15. In CPU-Z it still shows DRAM Freq. is 534.3MHz and when i check each slot in the SPD tab it says Max Bandwidth is PC2-6400 (400MHz). What is going on here? Memory should be at 1066MHz, right? or am I jus over thinking this? Thanks.

533 x 2 =1066 double data rate DDR. Just make sure you get a decent cpu heatsink before you start overclocking. Check the reviews on newegg.

I ran my old E6550 @ 3.22ghz but i had a 7 multi (333x7) where you have an 8 multi so you might be able to get a little higher overclock.

yeah, i got an 8x multiplier. Thanks for the help. Ill prob post back when i get better cooling, fans and heatsink.

Originally I had 2 80mm fans in my case. I replaced 2 and added 2 so now I have 4 80mm fans in my case. I guess my case is kinda old, prob 4-5 years old, and has fan holders so i can't use screws, also i would assume that would be louder then using screws cause it would move around a bit. This probably defeats the purpose of getting the Silenx fans, but whatever. Also i think I'm gonna need a new Power Supply. I needed to unplug 2 fans cause the power supply fan just stopped. Well it is an old Antec 350w, probably came with the case. So I'm thinking of getting this Power Supply Seasonic X Series X650 Gold also in a few weeks I plan on getting this CPU Cooler/Heatsink Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. What do you guys think?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz
Ram: 2x2GB G. Skill F2-8500CL5-2GBPK 5-5-5-15
Ram: 2x2GB OCZ OCZ2P10662G 5-5-5-18
Total Ram: 8GB
PSU: 350 WT PSU
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula
Chipset: X38
Southbridge: 82801IR (ICH9R)

Last edited:
Back