• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 680 Vs GTX480's in sli Benchmarks !!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atm743

I got my 680 yesterday :clap: and thought i would do a benchmark thread on how a single GTX 680 would do against 2 GTX 480's!! Please forgive the screenshots. i really didint feel like cropping every picture.

NOTE
in screen shots cpuz shows my cpu at 1.6ghz. its because i have speed step on, my cpu is overclocked to 4.5ghz though out every benchmark

System setup for benchmarks:
Intel Core I7 2600K at 4.5ghz
8GB XMS3 @1600mhz 9-9-9-24
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1
Silverstone 1000watt strider plus
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
(video cards)

2x 480's @at ref speeds, in sli 296.10 WHQL drivers Physx OFF
Single GTX 680 (ref speed no oc) 301.10 WHQL drivers Physx OFF​

3dmark 11
480 sli entry
yoeqO.jpg
680 entry
HFDXj.jpg

480 sli performance
PhAi9.jpg
680 performance
djppC.jpg

480 sli extreme
cfE7l.jpg
680 extreme
zXMsh.jpg

3dMark Vantage

480 sli
bVMRd.jpg
Yc2IO.jpg

Last edited:
Heaven Benchmark 3.0:

settings in pictures (first set of images are default settings) second set will be with settings turned to high

STOCK SETTINGS
480sli
5C0if.jpg
jJwrJ.jpg

HIGH SETTINGS
480 sli
UpoUR.jpg
DAvNn.jpg

Last edited:
Batman Arkham city:
settings-

Fullscreen= yes
Res= 1920x1080
Vsync= no
AA= fxaa Medium
3D = off
Dx11= mvss and HBAO
dx11 tessellation= High
Detail Level= exctreme
Dynamic shadows= yes
motion blur= yes
distortion= yes
lens flares= yes
light shafts= yes
reflections= yes
ambient occlusion= yes
physx = off

480 sli
j6Qkg.jpg
sFaMt.jpg

same settings but with 4Xmsaa (rather than fxaa med

480 sli
TOnHw.jpg
f6j6d.jpg

Last edited:
Dirt 3: DX11
settings-
1920x1080
4xmsaa
Ultra pre-set

480sli
pMCeb.jpg
26Zrb.jpg

Crysis 2: DX11
settings-
ultra pre set. picture shows 3 different benches (in one picture)

480 sli
w0nnF.jpg
7JsQe.jpg

Crysis 1: DX10
settings- very high 4xaa

480sli
capS3.jpg
B7YCF.jpg

Last edited:
wow, great stuff. Since a gtx 480 and gtx 570 are so very close, that means that a gtx 680 is almost equal to 2 gtx 570s! Very impressive, i didn't think it would be that quick compared to gtx 480/570 sli.

Guess we are finally finish with the "Get a 480 GTX discussion" at that point of state which is proven by science, thats good to know.

Excellent job on the benchmarks!

Looks like its slightly slower, but around 1/2 or less the power!

Guess we are finally finish with the "Get a 480 GTX discussion" at that point of state which is proven by science, thats good to know.
Who was saying to do that in the first place? :shrug: :p

Idk, The temps of the GTX 480 are ridiculous, thats why its aka "The Oven". Plus the power consumption for the gtx 480's is absurd. 850 watts at load.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/310
Thats SLI, and for the entire system, not just the cards. The TDP for these were around 250W IIRC.

Excellent job on the benchmarks!

Looks like its slightly slower, but around 1/2 or less the power!

Thats SLI, and for the entire system, not just the cards. The TDP for these were around 250W IIRC.

thanks :D I'm very happy with my purchase. yes the 2 480's are little faster in some games and benches but most of the stuff i play. they are only +/- 5fps. im shocked how close batman Arkham city did. BF3 plays Butter smooth now. BF3 is one of my main games im playing now and before if i turned the settings down and with one 480gtx. the game was hitching. i had the performance graph open in game and i kept getting cpu and gpu spiking (mostly cpu for some reaons) and with SLI my framerates were amazing and was able to play with stull on ultra and never dip below 60fps but i was still getting gpu and cpu spiking :( plus i noticed that there was a crap ton of micro stuttering while in sli. it drove me nuts (but no micro stuttering in other games?? :( ) Well my single 680 plays bf3 and i 99% of the time, im above 60fps with all ultra 4xmsaa!!! plus no microstuttering and i performance graph shows no cpu or gpu spiking!!! im in love :clap:

The main thing i love about this card though is how cool it runs. my room is about 69*F and my card right now as i am typing this is at 30* C !!!!! i was so used to my 480's idling at like 43 C or so. i have a custom fan profile made with MSI afterburner but the card never goes over 68C on full load in benchmarks or games. and its quiet. my total system temp dropped BIG TIME after taking the two ovens out LOL. i lowered the speeds of my case fans an im still getting better cpu and gpu temps than before. and it does not sound like a shop vac going off in my room.

i REALLY wish i had a Kill A Watt to measure my total system power before and after. most reviews that show total system wattage with 2 480's are testing with a power hungry 920 or higher and its overclocked. i think my system was still hitting 750 at least with my cpu and set up but still thats allot. right now im betting im at around 300w system :)
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-review/9
he was running a 965 overclocked a little and was getting 307 !!

this feels like the day i went from my 8800GTX to a 285. almost 2x performance and less power and heat!!!

Nice work dude. Congrats.

So you are saying in BF3...you have it all maxed out and 99% its above 60FPS??

Can you post some results/pics or something.

That sounds amazing.

Ive been thinking about getting a second gtx 580 3gb in SLI. But I am very wary of the microstuttering and I have had bad luck with dual 6950's. So thinking if that card can run it all maxed out and pretty much get 60FPS. Im in and will sell my 580.

Please let me know about BF3. Thanks!

EDIT: I watched a few youtube videos of 680 single on BF3 maxed out. Seems like in intense situation it still drops down to 40fps. I mean yes it maxed out but I want 60FPS locked! Never dip!!!

Last edited:
Nice work dude. Congrats.

So you are saying in BF3...you have it all maxed out and 99% its above 60FPS??

Can you post some results/pics or something.

That sounds amazing.

Ive been thinking about getting a second gtx 580 3gb in SLI. But I am very wary of the microstuttering and I have had bad luck with dual 6950's. So thinking if that card can run it all maxed out and pretty much get 60FPS. Im in and will sell my 580.

Please let me know about BF3. Thanks!

EDIT: I watched a few youtube videos of 680 single on BF3 maxed out. Seems like in intense situation it still drops down to 40fps. I mean yes it maxed out but I want 60FPS locked! Never dip!!!

Without AA, rest on ultra/max I have never seen it go below 60FPS at 1920x1200.

I still want to see 3d01,03,05 and 06 results. If the gtx680 is as bad as what is seems then the benchers may well be better off with the 7970 if boints are improtant

I'll try to put some up tonight. Not sure if I will have the time to do it... it will be late.

will look forward to it. debating a new card and want maximum boints if I do u pgrade

Just for the record, at same FPS, a SLI is always a lot weaker than single GPU because of micro judders (and many games got bad SLI support). So, 480 SLI is totaly beaten at this condition, in absolutly any spot. It might be a few bucks cheaper but still not worth the save up.

Back