• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEWEGG ShellShocker 1:00PM-2:59PM PST -Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120gb SSD $99.99

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
89 Bucks for 120 is hard to pass up, but does anyone know if they got the speed issues resolved with a recent firmware update? It's not really SATA III spec if it's only running around 275mb/s lol

89 Bucks for 120 is hard to pass up, but does anyone know if they got the speed issues resolved with a recent firmware update? It's not really SATA III spec if it's only running around 275mb/s lol

you need to go back and re-read the specs.... those numbers are over sata 2.... sata 3 speeds are 550 /500MB/s just like every other sf2218 async 120gb ssd.

There's a utlity on Mushkin's website to check the firmware version (latest is 5.02). If you have problems updating to that firmware, google the "full" 5.02 suite (it's 500MB versus the 35MB download on the hard drive's support page). My 120GB wouldn't flash unless I used the 500MB package.

Thats the main reason I still havn't gone to a SSD. There are still too many questions about the lower end ones (IE the ones I can afford). The only major answer I see online is "Intel's are great" then it gets a bit fuzzy.

Still, thats a damn good price. ALMOST worth the risk, but I think I'd pay a little more and wait for a Crucial M4 to go on sale (I hear they are good).

Intels are on deals from time to time, albeit with large rebates to make the price good.

its a good drive at a great price,i never thought i would see a 120gb ssd under $100 a few years ago when i bought my first 120gb for $400 lol.

you need to go back and re-read the specs.... those numbers are over sata 2.... sata 3 speeds are 550 /500MB/s just like every other sf2218 async 120gb ssd.

Yeah I knew the specs I was just reading newegg reviews and one claimed that was their speed over a sata III connection. It's nice to know that users on here are getting the advertised speeds.

Yeah I knew the specs I was just reading newegg reviews and one claimed that was their speed over a sata III connection. It's nice to know that users on here are getting the advertised speeds.

some of those people were probably using the earlier sata3 marvel controllers with there older motherboards,i just got rid of mine the read speeds were still ok but the write speeds are still sata2 speeds on them.

Its awesome that my ASRock Extreme4 won't have that marvell issue!

That cheap board is awesome for its price!

The 240GB came with a new firmware type. Asus support says it will not need an update until the next round. I discovered this when none of the current firmware or flash methods worked. Looked up my firmware number on google and got a single hit from asus forums. That's good news!

So I just had this drive die on me after 2 years and 3 months. Reading the reviews on Newegg this is not an uncommon occurrence with this drive. I did an RMA request but haven't heard back yet since it's the weekend I guess. It BSOD'd then stopped being recognized by the BIOS. No amount of cable swapping would get it to come back to life. The drive is now super cheap but just be warned the lifespan of this drive isn't the best.

agentbad, this thread hasn't been posted in for about 2 years. I think it's safe to say the deal is over. ;)

Sorry about your drive though. That's what always scares me about SSDs.

Have you tried updating the firmware?

It's funny you say that because I tried updating it maybe last week but the software wouldn't detect the drive. BIOS won't even see it now so I don't think I could update the firmware. I am wondering when I get the replacement should I just sell it.

Last edited:
I've had a crucial have a similar behavior, I was able to get it back by disconnecting the power and sata for 30 min, and then just plugging in power from an external usb enclosure for 60 min and then plugging in the sata. The drive showed up on the pc that had the enclosure connected to. Once I placed the ssd back into it's original pc, it was fine.

good luck

I've had a crucial have a similar behavior, I was able to get it back by disconnecting the power and sata for 30 min, and then just plugging in power from an external usb enclosure for 60 min and then plugging in the sata. The drive showed up on the pc that had the enclosure connected to. Once I placed the ssd back into it's original pc, it was fine.

good luck

Well that's strange. I tried a few different ports and wires but still got nothing. Just installed a Samsung evo 840 pro and it was instantly recognized. If I had a external enclosure I'd give it a try but to me that sounds like you had a bad port or cable.

Back