• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Chipset Drivers Cause BOOTMGR to fail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Junglebizz

Hey guys, I recently installed a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD into my rig (updated to firmware 0309) and I was having some issues. The first thing I did after getting into windows was to install the brand new AMD chipset drivers for my 790X motherboard, but upon reboot, I would get an error message saying "BOOTMGR is missing."

If I run the windows 7 startup repair from the disc, it will fix it so that the message doesn't come up, but then I will get a BSOD when the rotating windows logo starts to appear. The BSOD disappears so fast I can't read what the issue is before the system reboots. It gets stuck in this reboot loop as well.

I reinstalled again and didn't install the AMD chipset drivers and so far all is good. Am I missing out on any crucial drivers that will boost my system performance by not installing these chipset drivers? The 3 things that get installed are:

AMD Chipset Driver
AND AHCI Driver
AMD USB Filter Driver

Is the controller mode that the SSD is connected to set to IDE or AHCI?

AHCI for controller type and sata port 4/5 type as well. I also have the SSD connected to the first sata port.

Everything works fine as long as I don't install those AMD drivers, but I wonder if there's anything in those drivers that would be recommended to have or could be seen as required for achieving ideal system performance.

Back