• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What GPU to pick? Hmmm :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
680 performs slightly better. Here in the US it's ALSO cheaper, so that makes the choice easy, but in your case it's a much harder decision.

Exactly :) that's why I'm asking;) Ordering GPU in one month, so I have some time to decide.and hopefully prices change :)

But the 7970 is easier to overclock (no dynamic clocks/offset, at least until there is modded bios around) and it seems like it has more headroom.

I am still wondering myself for my next rig...

$35 is nothing compared to the overall price of the card and system. Get the highest performing card of the two (680) and be done with it. Can't really go wrong with either.
This. Get the best you can afford. Thats the 680.

But the 7970 is easier to overclock (no dynamic clocks/offset, at least until there is modded bios around) and it seems like it has more headroom.

I am still wondering myself for my next rig...
Well, it takes some decent clocks for the 7970 to catch up in the first place (so that wipes out its higher overclocking ability), and dont forget, even with the new style of overclocking this card, it still does overclock.

Id be interested to see what clocks it takes exactly on a 7970 to match a 680 and THEN see how much headroom is available in both cards. :thup:

Well, it takes some decent clocks for the 7970 to catch up in the first place (so that wipes out its higher overclocking ability), and dont forget, even with the new style of overclocking this card, it still does overclock.

Id be interested to see what clocks it takes exactly on a 7970 to match a 680 and THEN see how much headroom is available in both cards. :thup:

Well, I think I will go for a 680, but thing is I won't build my next system before this summer (too much work, not enough time...).

I believe that there will be no more room for doubt at this time... Unless Sea Island is there!;)

No brainer 680.

Usually when looking at the high end if one card performs better then the other companies it is more expensive and consumes more power. This time neither of these are the case.

you could do 570 in sli and out perform the 680 or even 2 580 in sli, depending on your prices when ordering

I have already ordered the other parts. Got a Corsair ax750 PSU.. Would 570 sli/crossfire be posible? and I've heard that there are a lot more problem posing, when you go sli/crossfire

Wait for non reference 680s and I bet youll be happy.

Bart 750 would be pushing it sli 570s. Well depending on your cpu and what not. overclocks.

Most recommend a minimum of 850 when doing 2x sli. Anything higher the 2x sli you want 1200+.

750 would probably work but might limit you when overclocking if I am not mistaken?

Back