• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partitioning Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KΓλ©KΣΓ™

I've found myself in need of partitioning software. I've had a few different ones over the years, but I'd like to know what you guys are using. Is there one that's better than all the rest¿

Thanx

unless you need something to do a certain something super-special, then QTParted will work for you. You can even download a bootable .iso of it (a bare basic version of linux that automatically runs QTParted for you on boot).

Partition Magic if QTParted doesnt work for you.

I found out the hard way that Partition Magic can seriously mess up partition tables of some modern hard drives since they did not exist the last time Partition Magic was updated, which I believe was eight years ago in 2004.

Absolutely. As a general rule, partitioning and drive imaging are to be done with software builds released after your hardware was manufactured.

I went to great lengths to make some old software work only to discover problems later on. The conclusion was to under no circumstances modify the software to "make it work". Only use updated current software builds.

Partition Magic is no good today. They finally stopped selling it. They used to sell it until relatively recently, and were selling it to people whose hardware was not compatible with it, then these problems were discussed on Symantec forums as if these were individual issues and not incompatibility of Partition Magic with modern hardware.

+ 1 for easus partition master I use it all the time plus its free

Thanx for the suggestions guys. I gave EaseUS Partition Master a try and it let me do what none of the other progs would. The HDD I have windows installed on is from my old Dell. It had a 10gig portion of it partitioned off with a bunch of Dell crap and backup stuff on it that I never used. The problem was, it was on the inside of the drive, and none of the other progs I tried would let me resize the main partition to include the unused 10gigs.

First time I hear of QTParted, I've normally always used GParted. Anyone familiar with both that can describe what the difference is?

Looking at the change log here for QTParted, it appears that it hasn't been updated since 04 (unless that is the wrong site for it)

gparted seems to be a lot more current
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php

Last edited:
KΓλ©KΣΓ™;7144606 said:
Thanx for the suggestions guys. I gave EaseUS Partition Master a try and it let me do what none of the other progs would. The HDD I have windows installed on is from my old Dell. It had a 10gig portion of it partitioned off with a bunch of Dell crap and backup stuff on it that I never used. The problem was, it was on the inside of the drive, and none of the other progs I tried would let me resize the main partition to include the unused 10gigs.

partition master will move them around and let you do it :) will even make the main one larger sometimes it may take a while to do so if there is alot of information on the disk because it has to rearrange everything

I liked Partition Magic, but didn't realize it was no longer sold. Crap...now I need I new one.

I have used Acronis disk director's boot disk, and in session, Paragon's partition mgr suite works well also. Acronis will not format to ext4 but it really doesn't need to.

Back