• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change of mobo, worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chesterchuennn

Registered
Hi there. Been running my MSI 970A-G45 for 3 weeks with no issues with it whatsoever. I paired it with a FX 4100. And the cpu has been OCed. However i read elsewhere there are quite alot of problems with this board and msi too. And what worries me is that the failure of the mobo lead to the destruction of the cpu too.

Im kinda looking at the Asus Crosshair Formula V or M5A99X as the board i wanna replace. However i wonder, is it worth replacing my mobo? Is it worth pairring the 4100 with a high end board like the Crosshair? Or shld i just get the M5A99X to save money? I plan to do heavy OC once i get the hang of OCing. I do not plan to replace my 4100 with cpu such as 6100, 8120 or 8150 as im using it mainly for gaming and i understands tat gaming do not need so much cores to run. And no im not planning to go towards the path of Intel chips so dont need to advice me on getting intel chips.

Edit: forgot to include that im not using crossfire at the moment. Im using Sapphire HD7770 1Gb. No plans to crossfire in future as the game im playing is heavily on starcraft 2, not heavily dependant on GPU, but especially on CPU instead.

Last edited:
No in todays mobo market, I doubt I would ever buy an MSI mobo. Things would have to show a real turn for me to do so. YMMV.

As cheap as the FX-4100 is, I likely would just run the MSI you have since it is overclocking where you want to be it seems.

I would go with the Asus Sabertooth board since it and the CHV are very similar and the Sabertooth is cheaper. You have to have serious cooling to get all the CHV has to offer and a very good cpu.

I would not go with the M5A99X series of mobo since we have some with FX processor now thinking about a better board to get the last bit out of their FX cpu.

Thanks for the tip. Cause my main concern is if i push my 4100 further i dont know when my board may fail. It would be good if it doesnt fail ofcause, but if it does chances is my cpu will get toasted as well. Prob is idk when it might fail given so many failure rates on other people's board. So i feel its a ticking time bomb. I might be paranoid but i wanna push the best out of my cpu and with that i guess i need a good mobo? I dont wish to spoil my processor or replace it.

One or two features that isnt there is the lack of LLC in my mobo. And im not sure if theres any Profile1(similar to xmp to calibrate dram timing) in it as well, i just cant find it and has no way of tuning my dram timing unless someone can guide me how to change it?

Last edited:
M5A99X series of mobo does not have multiple percentage Vcore LLC, I don't believe. The Sabertooth does as well as the CHV.

Well, I'm very happy with my Asus M5A97-EVO. Great price, great features. Very configurable.... I don't care about SLI, or Crossfire for that matter so there's no need for me to go 990 chipset.

Back