• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD clicks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilJoker

Ok i just got a seagate 500gb sata HDD. And up untill bout two days ago no problems. And there is some kinda of clicking sound in my rig. But now i get a windows MSG says my HDD has a problem. :bang head But when i run a disk check and CheckDrive 2012 finds no errors? ive ran every test i can think of on it and all is good? Is there some program that will run a better test? :fight:

Get Hard Disk Sentinel. Right off the bat, it'll report if there's anything wrong in the SMART data for the drive (make sure in your BIOS that you have SMART enabled for your hard drives). You can run further tests, but usually a clicking drive means something mechanical is the problem, which no software test can fix.

this is what the Hard drive Sentinel said
"There are 689 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
Based on the number of remapping operations, the health of the disk was decreased in different steps.
There are 103 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
4396 errors occured during data transfer. This may indicate problem of the device or with data/power cables. It is recommended to examine and replace the cables if possible.
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.

^^^^^^^^WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?^^^^^^^^^^^^

I interpret it as "You better backup the contents of this HDD before it's dead, and purchase a new HDD while you're at it." :-/

i just got it..so i had nothing in it yet( thank god) it was in a tower that i paid $60 for. I bought the tower because it had this drive and a Core 2 extreme QX6700 in it :)

From what you posted, yes that drive is going bad and should no longer to be used for anything. If you have nothing on it, just take it out, goto Seagates website and check up on the warranty. If its in warranty, then get them to replace it.

From what you posted, yes that drive is going bad and should no longer to be used for anything. If you have nothing on it, just take it out, goto Seagates website and check up on the warranty. If its in warranty, then get them to replace it.

I agree with the above. I'd go ahead and RMA the drive ASAP.

In the past year and a half, I've had to RMA more than a dozen new or nearly new HDDs. They simply don't make them like they used to!

ok this is what it says word for word and i quote " Attention!- CheckDrive has determined that the values of your harddrive have deteriorated. But there is no cause for concerns because the drive reports no impairment.
The number of read or write errors has increased. Frequent incorrect requests indicate a problem with the drive"

^^^Means what exactly?^^^^^^

yea... thats what i thinkin as well.. just wanted to make sure.. I love these forums :) Well time to cut the rig off amd take it out :\

Yes I have a clicking harddrive and within 2 days it died. It seems Seagate have reliability issue!

Yes I have a clicking harddrive and within 2 days it died. It seems Seagate have reliability issue!
Gauging an entire company based off one failing hard drive hardly seems like a fair comparison. I've had two failed Corsair power supply units out of 10+, so they must be even worse! So, unless you are talking about the 7200.9 or 7200.10, you just got a bad one.

I got a seagate drive from my brother that made the same noises and no longer would show up in bios. It was from a store bought computer (dell or something) and thus, seagate would not warranty the drive since it was a OEM.. lasted about 6 months if i remember right.

Last one i owned was a 30MB MFM drive i think.. They don't make em like they used to.

Yea.. this one is out of a Gatway.. ANd yea.. its OEM and them want cover it. Witch is some bull SH**!

So thats 3 people in this thread with the same problems and same thing happened. .I beleave we can bash on them.

So thats 3 people in this thread with the same problems and same thing happened. .I beleave we can bash on them.
I seriously hope you made your comment in jest. There are hundreds of thousands of drives out there that work fine. "You guys" are a pretty small subset.

This is the literal definition of anecdotal evidence. "The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. Because of the small sample, there is a larger chance that it may be true but unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases."

Well, not quite true that its useless.... It'd make a pretty decent paper weight ;p

I just wish Seagate hadn't bought out Samsung. Samsung were my preferred brand of hard drive. I've never once had a failure with one. Nice and quite and usally right up there as far as drive performance goes too.

Back