• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help thiddy build a computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thideras just a heads up there was a ES test of Ivy Bridge on XS a number of weeks ago Meteor|WAR had one for a couple days and the thermals were completely out of control on IB. With all likelyhood given your heatsink you may want to consider a used or purchase a 2600K now.

Let me put it to you like this; after what I saw I am adamant about not buying IB myself and am waiting for Haswell.

As for cases I've never used one myself but always been enamored with it, NZXT Vulcan:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146065&Tpk=nzxt vulcan

BitFenix has some interesting cases.

NZXT Switch getting good reviews.

You can go by price, you can go by appearance, to get exactly what you like, in features and appearance, costs. The type and size of the chosen heatsink video card defines minimal case size.
Usually the Lian Li Lancool on sale are a good combination of price and features. Antec 302 "fixes" most complaints with the 300.

Pick a price point and shop, or pick an appearance and shop. The $60-120 price point seem to offer all you could need, one way or another. Amazon is worth price checking.

Let us know any revelations, remember to look at reviews here too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, I'll look it over today.

Thideras just a heads up there was a ES test of Ivy Bridge on XS a number of weeks ago Meteor|WAR had one for a couple days and the thermals were completely out of control on IB. With all likelyhood given your heatsink you may want to consider a used or purchase a 2600K now.

Let me put it to you like this; after what I saw I am adamant about not buying IB myself and am waiting for Haswell.

As for cases I've never used one myself but always been enamored with it, NZXT Vulcan:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146065&Tpk=nzxt vulcan
Thanks for the information on IB. I'll probably wait until final samples are given out, in case something was wrong. I have no qualms about buying a new heatshink. That NZXT is one of the most hideous cases I've ever seen. I apologize if you like/own that one!

BitFenix has some interesting cases.

NZXT Switch getting good reviews.

You can go by price, you can go by appearance, to get exactly what you like, in features and appearance, costs. The type and size of the chosen heatsink video card defines minimal case size.
Usually the Lian Li Lancool on sale are a good combination of price and features. Antec 302 "fixes" most complaints with the 300.

Pick a price point and shop, or pick an appearance and shop. The $60-120 price point seem to offer all you could need, one way or another. Amazon is worth price checking.

Let us know any revelations, remember to look at reviews here too.
Bitfenix - I didn't even know they made cases! I gave them a quick look, but I don't see anything that I like.

Switch - It looked like an OK case until I saw the internals. They just tried way too hard and made it extremely messy. Plus, it is $170. I could probably find a v2000 Lian-Li for that.

Thank you for the input!

I wouldn't be able to run a video card and sound card. :(

Additionally, I have no need for that small of a motherboard, so I'd be paying a premium for less features.

Picky, picky, picky, lol.
Xoxide used to list a wide selection of cases, newegg covers many but far from all.
You might be best off just checking all the latest case reviews of those whose apppearance and price appeal.

Both the BitFenix Shenobi and Survivor appeal to me, oh well.
Antec 302 or Corsair 300-400 ?

Last edited:

I've used a couple different Lian-Li cases, usually whatever newegg has on sale with free shipping, to be honest.

It was so many little things about the case that added up to a case that was much more thought out than similar offerings in the same price range.

I was probably an Antec guy before trying my first Lian-Li, and I tend to be very loyal.

The deal-breaker for that Lian Li is there is no USB3. :(

That looks really sharp, as well. Even has USB 3! I'll have to check out some reviews for the case to see if it will be easy to wire up.

If anyone has suggestions for cases that can house internal watercooling, I'd also be interested in that. It has been a long time since I've done the watercooling "thing", and I'm interested in picking it back up.

To give an indication, here was my last watercooled system. That board was great.

IMG_0906.jpg

I know you can just barely fit a 360 in the top of an NZXT Phantom (25.74" x 8.74" x 21.32") if you want to size comparisons. You'd hate the look of the case though, ungodly amount of plastic.

Yes, I remember when it was released. I guess the look I'm going for is "refined", but I don't like that word. I like the Lian-Li style, perfectly square black box, with no huge jutting plastic pieces hanging off the front; one that just looks "sleek".

I also don't like fans larger than 140mm. Heck, I don't really like 140mm fans in the first place.

I also don't like fans larger than 140mm. Heck, I don't really like 140mm fans in the first place.

Was that in reference to the 200mm top fan on the Phantom or the 360mm rad? The 360mm rad is a 120mm x 360mm rectangle, for 3 x 120mm fans, not a single giant 360mm fan.

Or did I just misinterpret the post?

No, it was a random thought. I saw the side panel on your case in your avatar and it reminded me.

I know 360mm rads are 3x 120mm.

The Switch doesn't look too bad, but there is a lot of plastic. :-/

Back