• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File Transfering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nxb

Registered
Hi,

I have two servers one of which I'm migrating over to, both windows 2008, what would be the best option to transfer gigabtyes of videos, music, files, basically well between 30 - 100gb of files? FAST too, without waiting and only hitting small percentage?

Only hitting a small percentage of what?

Network will be the easiest, while still being quick. Otherwise, direct access is the only one going to be quicker, assuming they are faster than 116mb/sec read/write. What is the exact size of the data you need to move? If it is just a few hundred gigabytes, network is probably your best bet.

A small percentage of that file completing. What is network? It's about 25gb and another server it's 80gb.

A small percentage of that file completing.
I still have no idea what you mean by this.

What is network?
Are you asking me what a network is? :confused: Ethernet, internal network, etc.

It's about 25gb and another server it's 80gb.
This should be very easy to copy over a gigabit connection. It would take around 17 minutes total, assuming it can do 100 mb/sec.

Only a small percentage of that file is done transferring?

I know what a network is , they way you described it made it sound like a some sort of tool. But your not telling me how it's transferred you only mention over a connection it's fast.

Only a small percentage of that file is done transferring?
Ok, let's stop playing this guessing game where we go back forth, it is getting silly. Please re-explain what you mean by this, completely and thoroughly.

I know what a network is , they way you described it made it sound like a some sort of tool. But your not telling me how it's transferred you only mention over a connection it's fast.
You copy it across a network using a service. Since both are Windows, you could create a share on one server and copy the files over. Alternatively, you could follow unijabnx2000's suggestion and use an external drive.

Well first off the servers are no where near each other, and where would this option be?

Public network, and no both the servers are not near me.

I'm also a bit confused but I'm guessing english is not your 1st language so I'm just going to take a shot in the dark here.

If you need to move files across the internet then the FTP protocal is likely the best bet. It is a very mature protocal and has a number of options.

Your speed will be limited to what type of connections each server has. As well as anything else that might be going on within those networks and the internet itself.

Bluegreen is 100% correct. If I were to understand what has been described, I think using an external usb hard drive would be easiest. Backup the data, physically go over or send the drive by mail to the other location, copy data to other server. Trying to transfer gigs of data over the internet is likely to corrupt some of the data without some type of service in place that checks the integrity of the packets sent, plus it could also time out/stop, and will also likely be very slow.

In my experience, using a free program called TeraCopy has shaved at least a little time off of file transfers.

Well first off the servers are no where near each other, and where would this option be?

If the servers are not on the same internal network you basically have two choices. Send them over the Internet. The other is copy the data to some medium (e.g. a hard drive) and mail it in the regular mail.

Hi,

I have two servers one of which I'm migrating over to, both windows 2008, what would be the best option to transfer gigabtyes of videos, music, files, basically well between 30 - 100gb of files? FAST too, without waiting and only hitting small percentage?

You cannot copy them physically (i.e. by moving a hard drive) because you do not have physical access to the servers.

You cannot copy the files down to your home or office computer and then back up to the new server because this will take days with a 100GB. (Most domestic and small business connections are designed for downloading, not uploading).

You need to transfer the files over the network directly from Server A (origin) to Server B (destination).

To do this, you could - if the servers were on the same domain / aware of each other - just copy the files across. Even by mapping a network drive. But I'm going to guess (because you have not told us enough about how these servers are set up) that they are not.

Therefore you should use SFTP to transfer the files from A to B. SFTP is a program, but it is a low-level one. Usually you use a friendlier program that sits on top of SFTP. (Well I don't, but I think you should).

Therefore, assuming that you have some sort of remote desktop (good hosting companies provide often this), you should install such a program. My recommendation is FileZilla:

http://filezilla-project.org/

This program uses SFTP to transfer files between computers. You will want to install the client program on one server and POSSIBLY the server version on the other. It does not matter which way around you do this for your purposes. I said "possibly" about the server side because it's quite possible your servers already have everything they need to do this. I would install FileZilla client on one of the servers, attempt to set up a connection to the other one by entering its details (IP address, username, password, etc.) and seeing if you can connect.

If the above all works, then you should see two windows representing the two servers, and you can drag files between the two and see the progress as they transfer. As your data is already compressed (i.e. movies and music), this is as fast as you will get. If it's not fast enough, you're out of luck.

Hope this helps. And next time you need advice - provide MORE INFORMATION!

H.

Back