• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Munich

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice catch... nice to read these success stories!

Unfortunately a lot of people/companies are so far down the M$ hole that the undertaking to switch whole-sale is just to much.

I have been working to undermine some key services here to take them out of the Windows world. Its a slow process, there is so much resistance out there!

I didnt read past that first page, but I assume they are on unlicensed versions of Linux? I mean, you still have to pay for RHEL, and that isnt cheap either. I dont know the details as far as cost, but, we are looking to move our RHEL boxes on to the mainframe to save on licensing (I believe it has something to do with cost by the number of cores).

I didnt read past that first page, but I assume they are on unlicensed versions of Linux? I mean, you still have to pay for RHEL, and that isnt cheap either. I dont know the details as far as cost, but, we are looking to move our RHEL boxes on to the mainframe to save on licensing (I believe it has something to do with cost by the number of cores).

If you don't need support from RedHat you can use CentOS or SL. You pay for the support, not the license.

I wonder why its cheaper to put the same amount of RHEL 'boxes' on the mainframe then. And I used the wrong term, not by core, but by socket. So its more expensive to run RHEL on a 4 CPU box than 2.

EDIT:
As was the case with RHEL 5, this entry server license covers a machine with two processor sockets. It is not licensed per machine, like Novell does with its SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.

It is important to realize that these RHEL 6 support subscriptions are sold in two-socket chunks

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/12/redhat_rhel6_package_pricing/

So you are paying for the support, but it seems its licesened per two sockets.

EDIT2: Regardless, it IS great to hear success stories of moving to Linux in ANY form. :)

Last edited:
Back