• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speaker died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

I have a pair of Insignia NSB-2111's from 2006 because of all the rave reviews.

insignia_3.jpg

Recently one of them died and I tried swapping out the speaker from the dead box into the other and it worked still so I'm guessing that the crossover went bad. How would I test which component on the cross over bad? Is it even worth it? I bought these speakers for $60 are they were comparable ones out there right now for that price or maybe under $100.

If you got them for $60 then I bet the time and effort of trying to fix it, plus the cost of the replacement components, will make it a <= $0 experience for you. :)

If you have a good DMM you can start comparing contact points on the working and non-working crossover to try to isolate differences. It could also be that the driver itself is damaged.

I paid $60 for mine as well. On the bright side of things, theres still alot of potential left in those speakers despite their low cost. The best things you can do are dampen the cabinets and build new crossovers...something that can be done for less than $50 worth of parts and materials. The mods are pretty well documented. With those mods, a decent speaker gets exponentially better.

Back