• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid for 24 TB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KHAnet

i'm currently building a media server for all of my content and getting rid of 4 external usb HDD's. My question is i'm going to get an 8 port raid controller with 3TB HDD's, with that many drives would it be safer to go raid 6 and lose basically a drive worth of space or go with raid 5. Thank you in advance.

I like RAID-6 with large drives with important data - but I have read the arguments against RAID5/6 and I am slightly intrigued by using RAID10 instead (also has a few drawbacks of its own).

Will all 24TB be backed up elsewhere? If not - don't even consider it. Backup somewhere, and use a RAID-6 for primary storage. Should be pretty dang solid...

:cool:

With that much storage, I would absolutely go with RAID 6. The problem is that you are reaching the raw read error rate of hard drives today, which is around once in every 12tb of data. That means you have a very high change of getting a read error rate while simply rebuilding an array. If you lost a drive in RAID 5, it would not be able to recover if it got a read error, which could break the array or corrupt data silently. I would seriously consider ZFS for this array as it has the ability to detect corruption better than a RAID array can.

With that much storage, I would absolutely go with RAID 6. The problem is that you are reaching the raw read error rate of hard drives today, which is around once in every 12tb of data. That means you have a very high change of getting a read error rate while simply rebuilding an array. If you lost a drive in RAID 5, it would not be able to recover if it got a read error, which could break the array or corrupt data silently. I would seriously consider ZFS for this array as it has the ability to detect corruption better than a RAID array can.

If you arent going to go with ZFS, at least look at doing to arrays to keep closer to the 12tb line. While not as convenient, it is a much smaller headache then corrupt data.

Back