• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are lower numbers better for timing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

esCob4r

Title says it all?
I have G.Skill RipjawsX 1600Mhz DDR3 8-8-8-24 2T memory. Does this mean my memory is faster then those set to 9-9-9-24?

Yes, although if those set to 999 are running 1t instead of 2t you are effectively running the same speeds, as running 2t pretty much adds 1 to your main timings

ok so 8-8-8-24 2t is basically really 9-9-9-24? If so then what is the exact point of having lower 8-8-8-24 2t? I understand I could probably manually adjust it to run 1t maybe? Or maybe not?

Either way thanks. Trying to learn as much as I can with building pcs, overclocking, and what not.

No... Janus was comparing the effect of 1T and 2T Command Rates to looser (9-9-9) and tighter (8-8-8) timings.

Got yah. So basically it would make no real difference to use 8-8-8-24 2t vs 9-9-9-24 1t. I might have to look into that laters.

Right. But if you're using the subtimings, you can sometimes get to something like 8-9-8 @ 1T instead of 9-9-9 @ 1T, when maybe 8-8-8 @ 1T isn't quite stable. So there's a bit more flexibility.

We're talking tiny fractions of performance difference at that level though.

Chances are you wouldnt see a difference running 6-6-6-20 1T vs 8-8-8 or 9-9-9, except in benches, or if you are a maniac who never leaves his pc :D

Uncore is where its at :thup:

Well... 6-6-6-20 1T maybe. But good luck finding memory that'll do that at speed. :D I get your point though - it really doesn't make a difference. But it's one more thing to tweak, and the tweaking part is fun.

Well... 6-6-6-20 1T maybe. But good luck finding memory that'll do that at speed. :D I get your point though - it really doesn't make a difference. But it's one more thing to tweak, and the tweaking part is fun.

I know Ive looked high and low for another set that can do em, no dice :(

These old Hypers are the last of a dieing breed :cry:

Got yah. So basically it would make no real difference to use 8-8-8-24 2t vs 9-9-9-24 1t. I might have to look into that laters.

It can make a substantial difference depending on the chip itself; the easiest way to think of it is that the timings there are how long the dram chip takes to respond to data queries so technically 8ns vs 9ns is aprox 10% faster.

8-8-8 @ 900mhz
9-9-9 @ 1000mhz

^^ Should yield the same throughput as one another.

I have yet to notice a real life difference when it comes to ram speed/timings.
Even comparing 1333-9-9-9-2t to 2133-7-10-7-1t.

The thing to remember about 1T/2T is that the number is how many clocks each command is sent for. In essence 2t adds one to every timing, not just the main 3 to 4 timings.
It is also worth noting that some platforms care more about timings than others and some care about frequency more than others.
Ram on the whole is a strange game, one that the 24/7 user really doesn't need to think about much IMO.

Now the benching crowd is a different story, ram is critical there.

Back