• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer boots but no display on screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elliottlives

Would really appreciate some info or diagnosis if possible i have rebuilt 2 computers but am relatively new to everything.

Computer specs: AMD Phenom II 560 DualCore , Kingston 4GB(2 X 2GB) DDR3-1333 , SilverStone ST50F-ES 500W PSU 80+ , Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P MB AMD , Asus ENGTX550 Ti (Bought because i thought i need a new one) Previously a Nvidia 9500 GT , 1 500GB HD and 1 180GB HD

One morning I've gone to turn my Computer on and it boots fine but doesn't show anything up on the screen at this point i wasn't worried because from time to time i have to turn it off leave it for 5 seconds and boot it again before it shows up on screen, so i repeated that 5 times and came to a conclusion that the video card after 4 years of abuse had finally died so i bought a new video card (Asus ENGTX550 Ti) which i then put into the PCI-E slot, after i put it all back together booted it and had the same problem at this point im not sure i know its not the monitor because i tried it on two monitors on both DVI & VGA PLEASE HELP!

Hello Elliot, how do you know the computer is booting/POSTing? I see that your motherboard has onboard video. Have you tried plugging a cable into that to see if you get any output? If that does not work, unplug the power supply and switch the CMOS reset jumper. Leave it this way for around 10 minutes, switch the reset jumper back, and fire it up

Try pulling one memory stick (then the other) just to see if it posts. A dead stick can give the same illusion as the video card. If you've tried the onboard video without it posting you could have a bad psu. How old is the psu?

I got the Power supply 02/04/2011 and i tried the on board still so nothing showing up on screen, i also took out the battery for the board for around 30 mins and put back in same problem, Ill try switching the ram in and out now

i also noticed that sometimes my heat sink fan (Mounted on the front of it) when i boot it doesn't always spin and takes like 40 seconds to start spinning idk if that helps

Ok so the computer is starting up but im not hearing any beeps that should indicate it's posting or properly booting

Ok so the computer is starting up but im not hearing any beeps that should indicate it's posting or properly booting
Or that it is halting during POST. If you see hard drive activity, it could indicate that it is booting your operating system. Have you tried what tsranch posted?

Back