• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I keep my SLI 570s or sell them for a 680.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zitnik

So I am having a dilemma right now. I currently have SLI GTX 570s but I would like to get a GTX 680. Would it really be worth it to sell the 570s to get a 680? I could probably dump them off for around $450 and only have to end up paying $50 for the 680. But would this upgrade really be worth it? This will probably be my deciding factor.

From what I have read the sli 570's would provide you with pure performance. You might be better off keeping the sli 570's until the non reference cards are released or until you can go sli 680s. The power consumption is better on the 680s but I also heard you don't have much headroom for overclocking the reference cards. I could be wrong in this matter how ever.

The 680 is going to be behind in current games (slightly), but not by very much. Add DX11, and the 680 will perform better than two 570's. Also 570's only have 1.2G of ram shared.. Up the resolution and details and the 680 will easily beat the 570's. Takes half the power leaving room for another 680 later.

From what I have read the sli 570's would provide you with pure performance. You might be better off keeping the sli 570's until the non reference cards are released or until you can go sli 680s. The power consumption is better on the 680s but I also heard you don't have much headroom for overclocking the reference cards. I could be wrong in this matter how ever.
The SLI 570s have more raw crunching power, but theres other things to consider.
The 680 is going to be behind in current games (slightly), but not by very much. Add DX11, and the 680 will perform better than two 570's. Also 570's only have 1.2G of ram shared.. Up the resolution and details and the 680 will easily beat the 570's. Takes half the power leaving room for another 680 later.
Basically this, The 680 will take a small step back in performance but leaves wide open the possibility of adding another as an upgrade later which would be AMAZING!

This is probably the time to sell the 570s if you want to get top $ for them, however waiting a few months could bring the cost of the 680 down enough to compensating for that. Who really knows though.

So is the general consensus to ditch the 570s? How much FPS would I lose?

Depends on the game, some you might even gain depending on how well then like or dislike dual card setups.

I get 75FPS in BF3 on ultra with mine (1920x1080). selling two 570's should put you close to being able to buy a 680.

So is the general consensus to ditch the 570s? How much FPS would I lose?

It depends on what you want... there is no wrong answer. You know what the 680 does well, and there is a 480sli vs single 680 thread in this forum that shows how close they are from eachother. If you look at the reviews out there, you will notice that the card is simply a homerun of a card.. even if you lose a few fps, you gain in heat dissipation/power consumption and gameplay smoothness. Like mentionned above, the 570's won't go up in price with time, so if someone were to jump on the 1536 shader boat, they should probably think about it soon.

i personally splurged for SLI 480s at the time i built Earth. mainly cause i wanted it now, you know? and so i wouldn't have to upgrade when the 680s came out. i'm waiting for the 880s (assuming of course, that Nvidia sticks to the convention of numbering each new generation by the even first number. 480s and 580s are the same generation, just tweaked, 280s and 300s (lmao) are the same generation, and how 8800s and 9800s were the same generation)

PS EDIT: considering that each generation upgrades performance so that a single card (single GPU) gives roughly the same performance as the last generation's SLI setup, imo, it's not worth upgrading every generation unless you stay SLI right off the bat with the new card. i go SLI so i can skip every other generation without feeling like i've been left in the dust performance wise. 500$ every generation upgrade or 1000$ every other generation upgrade for SLI and i feel like the 1000$ option is best, at least for me.

Last edited:
i personally splurged for SLI 480s at the time i built Earth. mainly cause i wanted it now, you know? and so i wouldn't have to upgrade when the 680s came out. i'm waiting for the 880s (assuming of course, that Nvidia sticks to the convention of numbering each new generation by the even first number. 480s and 580s are the same generation, just tweaked, 280s and 300s (lmao) are the same generation, and how 8800s and 9800s were the same generation)

The setup in sig gives me 50 to 60 fps in BF3, 60 FPS in ME3 and 85 FPS in DIRT3 (all of them maxed out@1080p, with max AA).

Doesn't mean I don't want a 680+IB:ty:

Sure ive considered getting a GTX680.But i just cant see doing another upgrade so soon after getting my 570's.Because then ill want a board with atleast pci-e 3.0 and the list goes on.

Alright, I'll consider selling them. I have noticed the VRam is limiting me in some games. I have the Morrowind Graphics Overhaul and I get 18-40 FPS with SLI on (Morrowind probably doesn't even utilize SLI well) and I think it's because all of the high-res textures are hitting my cards. Also in Skyrim I was getting 40 FPS with the game maxed and many high res textures.

I will say selling the 570s for a 680 really depends on how much raw horsepower I lose. I know the 570s are faster, but Idk by how much. And obviously the Vram (on the 570) is a limitation, too.

Back