• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proper coolant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nursingZombie

Registered
Im new to water cooling, and Ive finally chosen a Swiftech H20-220 Ultima setup as after months of research I can just "swap" or add parts to the initial setup they box.

Now here is my question -- the coolant. The coolant they ship is "Hydrx" which needs to be diluted. I also purchased Thermalake "Coolant 1000" which is basically just a liter of greenish liquid. Which, if either is better? Thermalake doesnt state anything on the box or directions... and Hydrx states per 2oz bottle, "Heat transfer enhancer & corrosion inhibitor".

Seems coolant is coolant -- but Im Noob with this and want an expert opinion. I looked for about 30 minutes and didnt see a dedicated post concerning the liquid that goes in the loop.

Thanks in advance

You want to be using distilled water and a biocide, and that is it...period.

Yes. Colored coolant or any type of coolant is not something to mess with until you full understand the drawbacks and hassles that come with it. How to clean your block and loop, how often to do it, What to watch out for etc. Using coolant brings nothing good with it unless you know EXACTLY what you are getting yourself into and are doing it for nothing but looks. Distilled water is going to cool better than any coolant out there:)

To me it sounds like you still have a fair bit of reading to do or else you would NOT even say the word 'Thermaltake' on this board:rofl:

Not trying to be hard on you, just trying to help because liquid and electronics do not go together. Head up to the top of the "Water Cooling" section and read EVERY link in the Water Cooling Ultimate Sticky Thread!

Good Luck

Last edited:
so, after reading-- why not use radiator fluid? All the guide states is "with aluminum use antifreeze", guessing for the block change with the huge variance temps aluminum can swing..?

What i need is how much maintenance is needed to clean a loop with: A) dye/antifreeze or B) distilled water.

IE...are you guys all breaking down your loops every year// 6 months // ... to clean out the blocks, etc?

Most of us who run distilled only break our systems down between 6 and 12 months. With dye usage you want to do a full tear down and cleaning every 6 months max and every 3 months would be preferable. The big difference is if your running dyes or other mixed coolants is you will be tearing your blocks apart at every coolant change with distilled theres really no need for anything other than a quick fluid change and double check all your fittings.

Antifreeze prevents galvanic corrosion, there's no temp swings, you'll always be above ambient.

Like Wizard and Mort said, using dye is okay, just requires more frequent maintenance. Yes, use antifreeze to help prevent galvanic corrosion from mixing aluminum with other metals such as copper:D

sweet, thanks everyone for your input-- im going distilled with the nuke. If there is a warranty issue, ill fake the hydrx junk they gave me with tap water so it coats the loop then send it in.

I might as well throw in the silver in the res also--- couldnt hurt right?

I vote the distilled plus anti-bacterial too.

Mostly wanted to stop in and say :welcome: to the forums!

Back