Unhappy CPU or Motherboard dead?

I couldn't find a technical help section, so I'm posting here.

system specs
    Phenom II x4 3.40ghz (no oc at the time)
    GTX560
    2gb ddr3 ram (plan on 2 8gb sticks)
    motherboard NF725GM-P43

I was playing the game "lord the the rings war in the north" Forgot my CPU fan was at 40%, It read as 130f in game, so I set fan speed to 60%.

5 minutes later instant shutdown without a bluescreen and a bad smell....my CPU heatsink was hot as **** . Computer wont turn on afteran hour of waiting to cool down.

Fans spin for half a second but no boot, tried removing everything except for my CPU, same results. I un hooked the 4pin giving power to my CPU and wha-bam the fans run and otherparts of my PC, but still no boot/post beeps.

When re seating my heat sink, the CPU came out with it....(got it off with a screw driver) released the socket and put everything back in. Same results.

Is my CPU or motherboard dead? how can I test my motherboard. I never learned how before building this PC and can't find results anywhere.

You can only test the motherboard with another CPU. A motherboard will not power unless a valid CPU is present. It does sound like the CPU fried but nonetheless do a visual inspection of the motherboard to look for bulging or leaking capacitors or burned mosfets. It might also be a good idea, just in case, to swap out the PSU with a known good one if you have a spare or can borrow one.
    CPU: i7 2600k@4.6 ghz
    Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe b3
    Cooler: Swiftech H320
    RAM: 16 (4x4) gb Team Group Vulcan 2400 mhz @ 2176 mhz / 11-13-13-35-2T
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870
    Case: NZXT Source 530
    PSU: OCZ 750W
    Storage: Segate 480 gb SSD + 2x300 gb WD Velociraptors

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by trents View Post
    You can only test the motherboard with another CPU. A motherboard will not power unless a valid CPU is present. It does sound like the CPU fried but nonetheless do a visual inspection of the motherboard to look for bulging or leaking capacitors or burned mosfets. It might also be a good idea, just in case, to swap out the PSU with a known good one if you have a spare or can borrow one.
    the motherboard will not power without a CPU? It just booted up my hard drive without my CPU in

under inspection, there is no damage to the motherboard (no burn marks on the CPU either)

I'm sure the PSU works, I hear they won't give power at all if not working perfectly, and it runs my GTX560 fans and HDD, so it should be working.

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    It won't POST because there is nothing to process the information. The components will physically power up (such as your hard drive), but it won't do anything.
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

Quote Originally Posted by thideras View Post
    It won't POST because there is nothing to process the information. The components will physically power up (such as your hard drive), but it won't do anything.
    so as long as my motherboard is doing this, that means its not dead?

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    No, it just means it can turn on. That doesn't mean it is functional.
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

Quote Originally Posted by thideras View Post
    No, it just means it can turn on. That doesn't mean it is functional.
    damn, guess I need a working CPU to try out.
    would be a shame to waste time to RMA my CPU and it not be the problem.
    Well, its the only choice. I don't have spare crap anywhere, and there is 1 computer repair shop in this town.

on a side note, why did my CPU overheat? I left my fan speed at 40% while playing BF3 one time and I just got a hot CPU and bluescreen.No reports of overheating from other people with the game I was playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdawg View Post
    damn, guess I need a working CPU to try out.
    would be a shame to waste time to RMA my CPU and it not be the problem.
    Well, its the only choice. I don't have spare crap anywhere, and there is 1 computer repair shop in this town.

on a side note, why did my CPU overheat? I left my fan speed at 40% while playing BF3 one time and I just got a hot CPU and bluescreen.No reports of overheating from other people with the game I was playing.
    That's actually a complex question... Just because no one else with your cpu playing the same game had over heat problems doesn't really mean much. I would suggest if you're getting bluescreens and shut downs you consider leaving you cpu fan on 100% as most do. I'd never dream of going any lower then max RPM unless I had a water cooling set up with many multiple fans
    AsRock™ Extreme4
    Intel™ i5 2500k + 4.5GHz
    Hyper 212+, Lian-Li Case
    WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200RPM
    Windows 7 HB 64x
    G.Skill™ Ripjaws 2x2GB 1600MHz
    Lim. Edition Patriots 2x4GB 1600MHz
    Corsair 850W TX
    GTX 670 - 2GB

HEATWARE

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbert View Post
    That's actually a complex question... Just because no one else with your cpu playing the same game had over heat problems doesn't really mean much. I would suggest if you're getting bluescreens and shut downs you consider leaving you cpu fan on 100% as most do. I'd never dream of going any lower then max RPM unless I had a water cooling set up with many multiple fans
    it runs 108f browsing the internet/watching videos on my HDD at 40%. I don't often forget to bump it back up to 100%

I run new vegas and just cause 2 at 70% because they only use 2 cores

it runs 108f browsing the internet/watching videos on my HDD at 40%. I don't often forget to bump it back up to 100%

I run new vegas and just cause 2 at 70% because they only use 2 cores
    It is probably a better idea just to leave the fan speed on your heat sink at 100% or allow it to automatically adjust to avoid these types of problems. Manually adjusting any fan speeds other then say your video cards is a recipe for disaster IMO. Even then the only time I adjust my fan speeds on my gpus is when the automatic crap doesn't adjust it high enough to keep it cool enough. I never put it below what the automatic setting is. I only higher it if need be.

Just a suggestion^^

Also while you inspect your components, you said you smelled something. Well your bust bet to find what may have broke is to pull that said piece away from everything else and smell it. If it smells cooked and its no where near the other components then it is probably what roasted.
    Intel i5-2550K @ 4.6Ghz 1.275Vcore
    Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3
    G.Skill RipJawsX 8G 2x4G DDR3 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24
    Evga GTX 560 SC(Non Ti)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    Cooler Masters Haf 912
    Cooler Masters 120MM Sickle Flow Fan x4
    Cooler Masters 120MM 1200RPM Fan x2
    Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 160G HDD
    Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500G HDD
    Asus 48X Sata DVD/RW Drive
    Corsair HX1000 Power Supply

Wolfdawg, please use C. instead of F. when discussing temperatures.
    CPU: i7 2600k@4.6 ghz
    Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe b3
    Cooler: Swiftech H320
    RAM: 16 (4x4) gb Team Group Vulcan 2400 mhz @ 2176 mhz / 11-13-13-35-2T
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870
    Case: NZXT Source 530
    PSU: OCZ 750W
    Storage: Segate 480 gb SSD + 2x300 gb WD Velociraptors

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by esCob4r View Post
    It is probably a better idea just to leave the fan speed on your heat sink at 100% or allow it to automatically adjust to avoid these types of problems. Manually adjusting any fan speeds other then say your video cards is a recipe for disaster IMO. Even then the only time I adjust my fan speeds on my gpus is when the automatic crap doesn't adjust it high enough to keep it cool enough. I never put it below what the automatic setting is. I only higher it if need be.

Just a suggestion^^

Also while you inspect your components, you said you smelled something. Well your bust bet to find what may have broke is to pull that said piece away from everything else and smell it. If it smells cooked and its no where near the other components then it is probably what roasted.
    ill be more cafefull with fans speeds from now on.

I don't smell any difference from the other parts.

Quote Originally Posted by trents View Post
    Wolfdawg, please use C. instead of F. when discussing temperatures.
    sure beans trents

I was playing the game "lord the the rings war in the north" Forgot my CPU fan was at 40%, It read as 130f in game, so I set fan speed to 60%.
    130F should not be enough to fry a CPU but it is getting close. I think PII's are rated for about 70C before they fry (about 150F).

Fans spin for half a second but no boot, tried removing everything except for my CPU, same results. I un hooked the 4pin giving power to my CPU and wha-bam the fans run and otherparts of my PC, but still no boot/post beeps.
    Just had this same problem with a Gigabyte 890FX board. Replaced the board and all is well.

When re seating my heat sink, the CPU came out with it....(got it off with a screw driver) released the socket and put everything back in. Same results.
    This has happened to me three times with my PII 1055t. I don't like it and I think I scratched my heatsink with the screw driver this last time. But it still works.
    Deepthought 2.0:
    AMD FX 8320 4.4GHz Water Cooled
    ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB Patriot DDR3 2000MHz (clocked@2133Mhz)
    2x Gigabyte 550 Ti 1GB Water Cooled
    2x64GB Crucial m4's in RAID 0 + 3x500GB Hitachi HDD's in RAID 5
    Fedora 16 64-bit KDE Spin

Folding User Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Zerix01 View Post
    130F should not be enough to fry a CPU but it is getting close. I think PII's are rated for about 70C before they fry (about 150F).

Just had this same problem with a Gigabyte 890FX board. Replaced the board and all is well.

This has happened to me three times with my PII 1055t. I don't like it and I think I scratched my heatsink with the screw driver this last time. But it still works.
    Don't think I would find out the exact temps a CPU can die. I didn't know the temp when it shutdown anyway. but it was HOT.

I think its the CPU, but it could go either way.

BOTH my CPU and motherboard died
    took forever to get my CPU sent to AMD for RMA because I moved but I got it back last Friday, same problem.

So I sent my Mobo off Monday mid afternoon to CA, USA, flat rate shipping, hoping it would be there (from Tennessee) by tonight, but looks like it will around Monday or Tuesday.

Well...When I was testing the new CPU and found out the Mobo was dead, when taking off the heatsink the CPU came off with it! after inspecting it, it looks to have ONE bent pin, WHAT? how is that even possible??
    AMD even sent me a heatsink that doesn't fit, tried to lock it in place, bent metal and plastic on the the heatsink. (going to do the feedback on the RMA once I see that the new CPU even works and see if I can get a heatsink replacement).