• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU or Motherboard dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfdawg

Registered
I couldn't find a technical help section, so I'm posting here.

system specs
Phenom II x4 3.40ghz (no oc at the time)
GTX560
2gb ddr3 ram (plan on 2 8gb sticks)
motherboard NF725GM-P43

I was playing the game "lord the the rings war in the north" Forgot my CPU fan was at 40%, It read as 130f in game, so I set fan speed to 60%.

5 minutes later instant shutdown without a bluescreen and a bad smell....my CPU heatsink was hot as **** :mad:. Computer wont turn on afteran hour of waiting to cool down.

Fans spin for half a second but no boot, tried removing everything except for my CPU, same results. I un hooked the 4pin giving power to my CPU and wha-bam the fans run and otherparts of my PC, but still no boot/post beeps.

When re seating my heat sink, the CPU came out with it....(got it off with a screw driver) released the socket and put everything back in. Same results.

Is my CPU or motherboard dead? how can I test my motherboard. I never learned how before building this PC and can't find results anywhere.

You can only test the motherboard with another CPU. A motherboard will not power unless a valid CPU is present. It does sound like the CPU fried but nonetheless do a visual inspection of the motherboard to look for bulging or leaking capacitors or burned mosfets. It might also be a good idea, just in case, to swap out the PSU with a known good one if you have a spare or can borrow one.

You can only test the motherboard with another CPU. A motherboard will not power unless a valid CPU is present. It does sound like the CPU fried but nonetheless do a visual inspection of the motherboard to look for bulging or leaking capacitors or burned mosfets. It might also be a good idea, just in case, to swap out the PSU with a known good one if you have a spare or can borrow one.

the motherboard will not power without a CPU? It just booted up my hard drive without my CPU in

under inspection, there is no damage to the motherboard (no burn marks on the CPU either)

I'm sure the PSU works, I hear they won't give power at all if not working perfectly, and it runs my GTX560 fans and HDD, so it should be working.

It won't POST because there is nothing to process the information. The components will physically power up (such as your hard drive), but it won't do anything.

No, it just means it can turn on. That doesn't mean it is functional.

No, it just means it can turn on. That doesn't mean it is functional.

damn, guess I need a working CPU to try out.
would be a shame to waste time to RMA my CPU and it not be the problem.
Well, its the only choice. I don't have spare crap anywhere, and there is 1 computer repair shop in this town.

on a side note, why did my CPU overheat? I left my fan speed at 40% while playing BF3 one time and I just got a hot CPU and bluescreen.No reports of overheating from other people with the game I was playing.

damn, guess I need a working CPU to try out.
would be a shame to waste time to RMA my CPU and it not be the problem.
Well, its the only choice. I don't have spare crap anywhere, and there is 1 computer repair shop in this town.

on a side note, why did my CPU overheat? I left my fan speed at 40% while playing BF3 one time and I just got a hot CPU and bluescreen.No reports of overheating from other people with the game I was playing.

That's actually a complex question... Just because no one else with your cpu playing the same game had over heat problems doesn't really mean much. I would suggest if you're getting bluescreens and shut downs you consider leaving you cpu fan on 100% as most do. I'd never dream of going any lower then max RPM unless I had a water cooling set up with many multiple fans :shock:

That's actually a complex question... Just because no one else with your cpu playing the same game had over heat problems doesn't really mean much. I would suggest if you're getting bluescreens and shut downs you consider leaving you cpu fan on 100% as most do. I'd never dream of going any lower then max RPM unless I had a water cooling set up with many multiple fans :shock:

it runs 108f browsing the internet/watching videos on my HDD at 40%. I don't often forget to bump it back up to 100%

I run new vegas and just cause 2 at 70% because they only use 2 cores

it runs 108f browsing the internet/watching videos on my HDD at 40%. I don't often forget to bump it back up to 100%

I run new vegas and just cause 2 at 70% because they only use 2 cores

It is probably a better idea just to leave the fan speed on your heat sink at 100% or allow it to automatically adjust to avoid these types of problems. Manually adjusting any fan speeds other then say your video cards is a recipe for disaster IMO. Even then the only time I adjust my fan speeds on my gpus is when the automatic crap doesn't adjust it high enough to keep it cool enough. I never put it below what the automatic setting is. I only higher it if need be.

Just a suggestion^^

Also while you inspect your components, you said you smelled something. Well your bust bet to find what may have broke is to pull that said piece away from everything else and smell it. If it smells cooked and its no where near the other components then it is probably what roasted.

Wolfdawg, please use C. instead of F. when discussing temperatures.

It is probably a better idea just to leave the fan speed on your heat sink at 100% or allow it to automatically adjust to avoid these types of problems. Manually adjusting any fan speeds other then say your video cards is a recipe for disaster IMO. Even then the only time I adjust my fan speeds on my gpus is when the automatic crap doesn't adjust it high enough to keep it cool enough. I never put it below what the automatic setting is. I only higher it if need be.

Just a suggestion^^

Also while you inspect your components, you said you smelled something. Well your bust bet to find what may have broke is to pull that said piece away from everything else and smell it. If it smells cooked and its no where near the other components then it is probably what roasted.

ill be more cafefull with fans speeds from now on.

I don't smell any difference from the other parts.

Wolfdawg, please use C. instead of F. when discussing temperatures.

sure beans trents

I was playing the game "lord the the rings war in the north" Forgot my CPU fan was at 40%, It read as 130f in game, so I set fan speed to 60%.

130F should not be enough to fry a CPU but it is getting close. I think PII's are rated for about 70C before they fry (about 150F).

Fans spin for half a second but no boot, tried removing everything except for my CPU, same results. I un hooked the 4pin giving power to my CPU and wha-bam the fans run and otherparts of my PC, but still no boot/post beeps.

Just had this same problem with a Gigabyte 890FX board. Replaced the board and all is well.

When re seating my heat sink, the CPU came out with it....(got it off with a screw driver) released the socket and put everything back in. Same results.

This has happened to me three times with my PII 1055t. I don't like it and I think I scratched my heatsink with the screw driver this last time. But it still works.

130F should not be enough to fry a CPU but it is getting close. I think PII's are rated for about 70C before they fry (about 150F).

Just had this same problem with a Gigabyte 890FX board. Replaced the board and all is well.

This has happened to me three times with my PII 1055t. I don't like it and I think I scratched my heatsink with the screw driver this last time. But it still works.

Don't think I would find out the exact temps a CPU can die. I didn't know the temp when it shutdown anyway. but it was HOT.

I think its the CPU, but it could go either way.

BOTH my CPU and motherboard died
took forever to get my CPU sent to AMD for RMA because I moved but I got it back last Friday, same problem.

So I sent my Mobo off Monday mid afternoon to CA, USA, flat rate shipping, hoping it would be there (from Tennessee) by tonight, but looks like it will around Monday or Tuesday.

Well...When I was testing the new CPU and found out the Mobo was dead, when taking off the heatsink the CPU came off with it! after inspecting it, it looks to have ONE bent pin, WHAT? how is that even possible??
AMD even sent me a heatsink that doesn't fit, tried to lock it in place, bent metal and plastic on the the heatsink. (going to do the feedback on the RMA once I see that the new CPU even works and see if I can get a heatsink replacement).

Back