• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking FX-6100 please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would agree with all of you except he is running the Asus M5A78L-M LX Plus MOBO which is good up to 125w. I know it does get confusing with those boards as there are several varients, the M5A78L-M LX, V2, Plus, etc and the situation is exasperated due to the OP not knowing the differences to begin with.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LM_LX_PLUS/#specifications

I have the same board and have had the fx-6100 up to 4.4Ghz on air no problem. I have since taken it back down to 4Ghz but it wasn't because of any hardware issues.

I thank you guys for the support, however the only way i been able to overclock is by AMD OVERDRIVE i got it to 4.00 gzh but after i reboot its gone when its running at 4.00 my temps hover around 35-40c i can anyone explain to me how to OC in the bios because i checked it out but looks all greek to me.... thanks a lot
n0xturnal

I thank you guys for the support, however the only way i been able to overclock is by AMD OVERDRIVE i got it to 4.00 gzh but after i reboot its gone when its running at 4.00 my temps hover around 35-40c i can anyone explain to me how to OC in the bios because i checked it out but looks all greek to me.... thanks a lot
n0xturnal

I replied to your PM

You can't just put in the numbers that I used and expect it to work as a certainty, you have to slowly increase the multiplier and voltage to see what you an get to run stable, what worked for you may not work for me.

You can't just put in the numbers that I used and expect it to work as a certainty, you have to slowly increase the multiplier and voltage to see what you an get to run stable, what worked for you may not work for me.

i don't know why it wouldn't only thing better you have in your specs is the ssd drive? :/

Uh, because no two processors, or any components for that matter, are the same. I was trying to give you an idea of what your limits might be, if you post up screen shots what is going on, perhaps you could get some more help.

Uh, because no two processors, or any components for that matter, are the same. I was trying to give you an idea of what your limits might be, if you post up screen shots what is going on, perhaps you could get some more help.

OK cool sorry for my dumbness I'm new at overclocking... I'll get some screen shots together and if you need others let me know..

screens

If you need others please let me know thanks a lot

Attachments

• Screen 1.jpg
    Screen 1.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 41
  • screen 2.jpg
    screen 2.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 39
If you need others please let me know thanks a lot

for some reason in the second picture after i make changes and it asks me to reboot changes dont save in there, and also at times computer will gives me errors saying unleash mode failed , overclocking failed.

If you are going to use overdrive to OC, which isn't the best option. You need to go into preferences and tell it to apply the settings everytime your computer restarts. Also, why does it say TRIAL on some of your HWMonitor readouts? Disable turbo core

If you are going to use overdrive to OC, which isn't the best option. You need to go into preferences and tell it to apply the settings everytime your computer restarts. Also, why does it say TRIAL on some of your HWMonitor readouts? Disable turbo core

i don't even know what them mean "trial" so i have to disable turbo core in bios? OK ill do that now.

It's actually best to make all of the changes in the bios and not use overdrive at all. Turn off turbo core, set overclock to manual and adjust the ratio to a multiplier ratio and voltage until you can run prime95 for two hours without any of the workers stopping or any errors.

Screen 3 with turbo core disabled

Whats the max temp my cpu can run at ??

Attachments

• screen 3.jpg
    screen 3.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 37
but when i close and re open HM it dont say trial ? hmm

Yeah, I have no idea what the trial thing means. Have you gotten a stable overclock yet? If so what speed are you running, what are your multiplier, and voltages at? Have you tried running a Prime95 blend test yet? What temps did you get?

I personally like to stay under 60 degrees celcius, these sites have the max temperature listed at 70C for the 6100 but I wouldn't feel comfortable going that high.

http://www.xicomputer.com/products/...gory=cpu&ComputerID=18&Computer=mtoweramdhome
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-6100.html

At 4Ghz a 2 hour blend test got me up to 51C and a full day of SMP folding got me to 47C, I got up to 61C at 4.4Ghz but I am not using the stock cooler.

current bios settings

Cpu/ht ref clock - 208
cpu ratio x20.0 -4000 mhz
trubo core - disabled
cpu/nb freq - Auto
cpu over voltage - 1.40
ht link speed - Auto
ht over voltage - Auto
Dram timing config - Auto
Memory over voltage - auto

And right now with just this page open temps running high 20's C

Back