• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking FX-6100 please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n0xturnaL

Registered
I have a M5A 78L-M LX Series Asus mobo with a AMD FX-6100 6core cpu i need some help on how to over clock from the bios.... i have 8gigs of ram
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have AMD overdrive...but it seems to do nothing more then say overclock faild on reboot ^___^

Please tell us lot more about your hardware. Refer to my "Sig" at the bottom if you want an example. We need more info to help you.

And don't use anything but the bios to overclock.

M5A 78L-M LX Series Asus mobo
AMD FX-6100 6core cpu
Corsair XMs3 4gb pc10666 x 2 = 8gb
Diablotek DA series 600w atx
Msi mid tower atx raptor case
Custom Built

You left out one of the key pieces of info. What are you cooling the CPU with?

But i have a big fan on left side panle blowing heat out and i have another fan in blowing out in the back then the next fan is blowing in from the inside in the middle of the two cd drive racks then at the bottom of case in front is LED blue fan blowing air out..

Sir, I regret to inform you that you are not in a very good position to overclock.

Your CPU pulls 95 watts TDP at stock voltages and frequencies. Your motherboard is only rated for 95 watts. When you start to overclock the CPU it will pull more than 95 watts. On top of that you are very limited from a cooling standpoint with the stock CPU cooler. You risk frustration and damage to your components.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LM_LX/#specifications

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... 50001028 600213780&IsNodeId=1&name=FX-Series

On the bright side it sounds like you have good case ventilation. But in the balance I do not advise you to try to overclock this system.

It does. It has overclock controls in the bios I imagine but its not necessarily a good idea with just any CPU and it will probably give a very limited overclock on a lot of more potent CPUs. The CPU you have chosen has six cores. It would probably overclock a 65 watt dual core Athlon II Regor CPU like nobody's business.

The place to start would be to check CPU socket and core temps at stock frequencies and voltages to see if you have any headroom to overclock from a temp standpoint. Download and install two free programs: HWMonitor and Prime95.

Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run the Prime95 stress test "blend" option for 20 minutes. Take note of the max core temps and CPU temps at the end of that time. The CPU temp may be disguised in a group of "TMPINx" temp readouts. The core temp is them most critical one, however, if its sensor is calibrated accurately, that is. Then report back with results.

Not sure how to use that stuff but i added a new psu corsair gs600, im only trying to overclock a little bit over 3.30ghz so if you can please assist me id appreciate it a lot

The safest way to overclock with limited cooling is for you to just start increasing your CPU multiplier .5x until it becomes unstable. That will minimize the extra heat causeg by also increasing your CPU voltage and something that is usually done in conjunction with raising the multiplier when cooling is adequate. Without raising your CPU voltage your overclock will be more limited but it may meet your stated expectations without creating a lot of extra heat. After each increase of .5x you should run 20 minutes of the Prime95 blend test to check for stability. When it won't pass the Prime95 20 minute test, dial the multiplier back to the last one that passed. Really, you should eventually test your overclock with at least 2 hours of Prime95 but 20 minutes is long enough to establish tentative stability.

Not sure how to use that stuff but i added a new psu corsair gs600, im only trying to overclock a little bit over 3.30ghz so if you can please assist me id appreciate it a lot

Noxturnal, your CPU automatically turbo boosts to 3.9ghz, so overclocking it and turning off turbo isn't going to do much. If you're looking for an overclock it's going to have to be 4.0hz+. Also, you're not going to see a huge performance difference with only a 100 mhz overclock, so letting your CPU turbo up to 3.9ghz might be your best bet. Of course, I'd love to see you play and see if the stock cooler let's you get to 4.0ghz, but you'll have to play with the multiplier to do that safely.

Follow trents information above my post to achieve that. Don't forget to download HWMonitor and watch that as you run Prime 95, you'll want to make sure the CORES do not go over 55C.

Last edited:
Back