• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i go for Dual 6970 or Single 7970 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I myself would be fine with either, though I prefer AMD cards for no particular reason. They are all I have used :)

Last edited:
I haven't seen a comparison with both cards decently overclocked, I see the 7970 windforce overclocks to 1300mhz and so becomes faster than a normally overclocked gtx680

just because its at a high freq doesnt make it faster. In one review i saw they OC'd the 7970 to the freq of a 680 and overall the 7970 still was about still 5% slower across the board. And its more expensive. Pretty sure youll be able to OC the 680 to beyond what the 7970 is able to reach.

take a look at this

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...gtx-580-oc-performance-review-conclusion.html

The gtx 680 wins outright at 1080 but when using triple 1080 screens the 7970 pulls level with the 680 because it has an extra gig of mem. I think its safe to say that if you are gaming on one screen the 680 will outright bash the 7970 but when running a triple screen setup, either is good. thats when price, heat, noise and power consumption come into play, all of which the 680 come ahead on :p

just because its at a high freq doesnt make it faster. In one review i saw they OC'd the 7970 to the freq of a 680 and overall the 7970 still was about still 5% slower across the board. And its more expensive. Pretty sure youll be able to OC the 680 to beyond what the 7970 is able to reach.

take a look at this

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...gtx-580-oc-performance-review-conclusion.html

The gtx 680 wins outright at 1080 but when using triple 1080 screens the 7970 pulls level with the 680 because it has an extra gig of mem. I think its safe to say that if you are gaming on one screen the 680 will outright bash the 7970 but when running a triple screen setup, either is good. thats when price, heat, noise and power consumption come into play, all of which the 680 come ahead on :p

That has been intriguing me because while the FX-8150 (not sure about other processors since this is the "flagship" chip that is getting the most attention) is beaten by the i5 2500k + i7 2600k at lower resolutions, in multi-monitor and high resolution setups, the FX-8150 keeps consistent framerates while the i5 and i7's framerates fall, and the FX ends up on top eventually. You can kind of see what I'm talking about here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_CPU_Scaling/9.html. The gap closes between the GTX 680 and the 7970 as the resolution increases and multiple monitors are added, correct? Now, are those benchmarks with the 7970 vs 680 done with an Intel chip? Most likely. What happens when you put an 8150 in there? Will the 7970 pull ahead then?

That has been intriguing me because while the FX-8150 (not sure about other processors since this is the "flagship" chip that is getting the most attention) is beaten by the i5 2500k + i7 2600k at lower resolutions, in multi-monitor and high resolution setups, the FX-8150 keeps consistent framerates while the i5 and i7's framerates fall, and the FX ends up on top eventually. You can kind of see what I'm talking about here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_CPU_Scaling/9.html. The gap closes between the GTX 680 and the 7970 as the resolution increases and multiple monitors are added, correct? Now, are those benchmarks with the 7970 vs 680 done with an Intel chip? Most likely. What happens when you put an 8150 in there? Will the 7970 pull ahead then?

I think that is because as you increase the resolution to high levels (especially 2560*1600 and up) the load in most games goes almost completely off the CPU to the GPU. Therefore it is not a very good gauge of CPU performance, since the speed is almost entirely determined by the GPU.

At low resolutions the cpu is the bottleneck for fps. In most games at 2560x1600 the bottleneck is the gfx card, and so long as a cpu can meet the flow of information the gfx needs, then the gpu is your limiting factor. That review doesnt show the bulldozer catching up at high res, it shows the drop im cpu power needed at high res.

Thats why the sandybridge will destroy bulldozer at low res and then tend to be fractions of a frame apart at high res, except in cpu intensive games like starcraft, where there is still a wide gap even at higher res.

all that review really tells us is that with many modern games if you play at high res, pretty much any mid to high end cpu will work.

Back