• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i go for Dual 6970 or Single 7970 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay i am using a AX850 from corsair

I am doing a Dual rad water cooling build

Since 7970 is already out quite some time... should i go for the old cards or the new ones ?

May i know is 7970 power hungry ?

I'd go with a single 7970. It doesn't use hardly any more power then a 6970, and the performance will be similar.

Plus it'll be cheaper, since you won't have to buy 2 WBs.

u just going for an ati card or not thinking of venturing into nvidia territory? I see you have a gtx 580? why not just sli them or got for a 680 which outperforms the 7970 for the same price?

u just going for an ati card or not thinking of venturing into nvidia territory? I see you have a gtx 580? why not just sli them or got for a 680 which outperforms the 7970 for the same price?

and then what does he all the time, just playing and using the pc??
no driverfix searches, no social interaction with posting about issues and so on... :p

and then what does he all the time, just playing and using the pc??
no driverfix searches, no social interaction with posting about issues and so on... :p

Hey now, I'm not having any issues. :p

Maybe because I've avoided the last couple of driver updates and stuck with one that worked. :rofl:

Hey now, I'm not having any issues. :p

Maybe because I've avoided the last couple of driver updates and stuck with one that worked. :rofl:

I was writing such a nice response and safari crashed on my f*cking iphone!!!!!

Yea I'm in the red team too and not having big problems, yes the sidescreens turn off if there is a dark image on them, but that't doesn't disturb me much.
As the screen turn soon on again.
And I'm not using the bezel compensation to not miss something important happening on that 2 inches between the screens.
It's not at all because catalist control center crashed every time I tried to set the compensation. :D

I'm also tankful to microsoft cos everytime I play a new game I remember I'm using windows
-safari crashed 4 time until now-
...because the image and the mousepointer are completely messed up.
So I remember I have to disable the "avoid resize of the image in case of high dpi values".
How cud I live with xp when the automatical rescaling of the page didn't exist yet.

By the way isn't this technology a bit crappy?
The iphone isn't crashing just because i closed all other windows. And I am costantly saving the page...

About amd and 7970, I thought to get 3 of these or 2 7990, but the driver support only crossfire. So big spenders go praying 4 new drivers or go green. I can't go green team man. By the way iphone crashed twice again! Crap technology of 2012!!!!
Byyyeeee (just saved before sending) we never know :D

I hope with os 8.3 and 60gb of ram on a quadcore that beats the gtx690, apple will fix this iphonecrashing issue when writing more than 3 lines of text on a forum.
Let's see what technology deserve us. I can't wait to make videocalls again with iphone 17, by that time we will have a hologram keyboard and teletransport of goods worldwide.
Can't wait to misstakenly call my girlfriend like my virtualone that would be perfect beside some random system crash and the wish for her to kill me.
Yea I went abit offtopic sorry guys.
Yea if you want go with a 7970 or a gtx680 if you don't need computing power.

Cheers from the pre-economicalbankrupting europe.

Yeah, I'm also not using a 79xx and I'm not crossfiring or using multiple monitors. So the amount of problems I could encounter is at a minimum. :D

I hope with os 8.3 and 60gb of ram on a quadcore that beats the gtx690, apple will fix this iphonecrashing issue when writing more than 3 lines of text on a forum.
Let's see what technology deserve us. I can't wait to make videocalls again with iphone 17, by that time we will have a hologram keyboard and teletransport of goods worldwide.
Can't wait to misstakenly call my girlfriend like my virtualone that would be perfect beside some random system crash and the wish for her to kill me.
Yea I went abit offtopic sorry guys.
Yea if you want go with a 7970 or a gtx680 if you don't need computing power.

Cheers from the pre-economicalbankrupting europe.

If you didn't give Apple any of your money you wouldn't being having problems right now would you?

The 680 barely out performs the 7970. It really boils down to which brand you prefer.

Plus, doesn't crossfire still scale better then SLI?

The results of X-Fired/SLId 7970/680 are VERY close.

Depends on the game, benchmark, or application you are using. Crossfire scales better in some things, and then SLI scales better in other things.

I'm not siding with either card, as both are wonderful graphics cards.

Although, I do plan to pick up a 7970 in a couple weeks. I just really like CCC.

The 680 barely out performs the 7970. It really boils down to which brand you prefer.

in almost every review / comparison ive found the 680 tends to be around 15% quicker arcoss the board. Draws less power and has lower heat. Ive used both ati and Nvidia cards, i really couldnt give a rats *** about which i use. Its just down to what performs better. Which atm its the 680 by quite a long shot.

I cant comment on the scaling with sli and Xfire. But it seems mixed in terms of performance SLI/Xfire. But they seem to perform similarly. The Gtx680 still edges it in the majority of most comparisons ive seen and the drivers aint gona be at their best yet either, give it a couple more months and i feel 680's sli will comfortably have the edge on the 7970's xfire.

I personally havent had many issues with nvidia drivers ( i had just as many probs when i have my 5850), but ofc that isnt standard to everyone. The 680 tends to be a bit cheaper across the board too.

I haven't seen a comparison with both cards decently overclocked, I see the 7970 windforce overclocks to 1300mhz and so becomes faster than a normally overclocked gtx680

Dont forget its $50 less, consumes less power, and isnt as loud in reference form. :thup:

Anyway, single 7970.. especially for someone who is really 'green'. :thup:

Back