• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a newbie I5 v 8 core buldozer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here at Overclockers.com, we do not care about a companies politics...that's not what we are about.

Do you want me to leave?

Because I do care about such things. I've no intention of starting a debate here and didn't say the OP should buy AMD, I just said that if they cared about such things... Wasn't making a big deal out of it but some people care who they buy from so I mentioned it. One of the reasons I buy from AMD is because if AMD didn't exist, Intel would have no competition. I'm a capitalist, so I like competition and I like to do my tiny part to keep AMD in the game. The fact that their chips meet my needs lets me do this without adverse cost to me. But I'm always clear about my reasons for what I do so that others can decide if the same reasons apply to them or not.

Anyway, that's far more than I intended to say on the subject when I made my initial very minor comment. I don't care to make this stuff a big deal and am just responding to being challenged on what was a small part of my post. I think the future proofing provided by AMD's more predictable and slower socket roll outs is the thing I wanted to draw the OP's attention to, that is if both the Intel and the AMD meet their needs.

Peace.

^^^ Lol, my FX-8120 is just a temporary chip. I'm waiting for the 6 module Piledriver. Rumored 15% more efficient per clock and 10% reduction in power use + higher clocks. Besides, I just want to see 10x threads on my desktop widget ;)

^^^ Lol, my FX-8120 is just a temporary chip. I'm waiting for the 6 module Piledriver. Rumored 15% more efficient per clock and 10% reduction in power use + higher clocks. Besides, I just want to see 10x threads on my desktop widget ;)

Ahhh - you're far more honest than I am. I'm still pretending that I want it because "it will offer a worthwhile performance improvement".

Despite the fact that I currently have a 1100T which is nearly as good as a Bulldozer right now. :D

Ahhh - you're far more honest than I am. I'm still pretending that I want it because "it will offer a worthwhile performance improvement".

Despite the fact that I currently have a 1100T which is nearly as good as a Bulldozer right now. :D

It's actually better ;)

^^^^ Lol, yup. My old Thuban was noticeably faster (about 30%) faster in handbrake, and that was at stock (2.8GHz) speeds..... Its just that I've been following the development of Bulldozer since the P4 era and couldn't hold out any longer. I knew what I was getting so I'm not disappointed. It does seem a tiny bit snappier in general Windows use, though that could be because I went to 16GB DDR2133 RAM :shrug:

Back