• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep it on, or shut it down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zins

Registered
So I thought this would just be a interesting question to ask everyone. A few years back I was talking to a tech. who told me it was better to leave your computer running, rather than shutting it down. His reasoning was that it is easier for the system to keep running than it is for it to be shut down and turned back on. He said that restarting your computer once a month was all you need to do. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on this subject, and if it matters what kind of system your running. I could see that maybe if you had water cooling, or high OCing that it could alter the decision. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Doesn't matter anymore.
Back in the MFM disk days it could make a very big difference in data life, shutting down was generally a rather bad idea.
Now? Doesn't make a difference at all IMO.
If it's on it is collecting dust, so there is that.

I leave mine on, but that is because it is mining bitcoins and doing science research on its GPU and CPU respectively.

I think another important factor, that is frequently forgotten, is how long the computer will be on. If you use it for an hour a day, you are likely creating substantially more wear by leaving it on. If you are a neckbeard like me and use it for more than 8 hours a day and have stuff running on it, it would be best to leave it on.

If I don't have a plan to use the computer again shortly, I'll shut it down.
I like my bills the way they are....low.

Obviously a pc thats off isn't chewing electricity. Perhaps turning it on an off ten times a day is more wear than leaving it on but thats not my typical usage schedule.

Been shutting it on and off via hibernate or sleep. Have been doing this since the 386 days. The electrical savings and noise reduction is worth it. I don't leave my PC on all the time for the same reason I don't leave my car running all the time. The PC is replaced due to being obsolete rather than due to catastrophic failure.

I turn mine off and unplug it every night when I go to bed (along with my television). I mostly unplug to prevent anything from continuing to use electricity when it's not on. Helps keep the power bills down a little. I used to leave my old computer on most of the time, but then one day I came home and heard a loud clicking/whining noise. It turns out the bearings in my GPU fan wore out, ever since then I've always turned my computer off when I'm not using it to (hopefully) put less wear on the components.

I turn mine off and unplug it every night when I go to bed (along with my television). I mostly unplug to prevent anything from continuing to use electricity when it's not on. Helps keep the power bills down a little. I used to leave my old computer on most of the time, but then one day I came home and heard a loud clicking/whining noise. It turns out the bearings in my GPU fan wore out, ever since then I've always turned my computer off when I'm not using it to (hopefully) put less wear on the components.

Unplug? You can effectively do the same thing by hitting the power switch on the powerbar.

Not quite. If you take a lightning bolt to the power wires unplugged stuff will live, switched off powerbar stuff probably won't.

Plus older PSUs and monitors (those that are not EUP/ErP compliant) can use from 1-5 watts while turned off, plus whatever 5Vsb is being used of course.

Not quite. If you take a lightning bolt to the power wires unplugged stuff will live, switched off powerbar stuff probably won't.

Plus older PSUs and monitors (those that are not EUP/ErP compliant) can use from 1-5 watts while turned off, plus whatever 5Vsb is being used of course.

By functionality I mean killing power to the devices. Switching the powerbar off will definitely serve that purpose.

If one is so paranoid about lightning strikes then yes unplugging it is recommended. Also make sure your house is grounded properly. Of course if the house burned down with said lighting strike then....

Functionally doesn't define the function, if the function is to save vs lightning, switching them off isn't functional :D

If the function in question is killing the parasitic losses, then yes.

I don't shut it down anymore... boot up time takes too long until I can load programs/games with ease. I just put it to sleep... low power state, so no high electric bill, and can go in and load programs without having to wait 3 minutes for all of the background stuff to load up.

I don't shut it down anymore... boot up time takes too long until I can load programs/games with ease. I just put it to sleep... low power state, so no high electric bill, and can go in and load programs without having to wait 3 minutes for all of the background stuff to load up.

You need a SSD. Took my time from power button to usable desktop from ~1:45 to ~0:25.
Amazing stuff, really.

If there's a large storm incoming I usually shut mine down in case the power goes out, or worse blinks on/off a lot of times.
That is more to protect my windows install than anything else, the actual system components are juicy enough to withstand that just fine.
I'll unplug it if it looks like lightning is incoming, a strike on a neighbor's power lines can still give your lines a few thousand volts to think about.
If that isn't an issue I just shut down, my PSU is EuP/ErP compliant and hence draws less than half a watt powered down.

Well, there are pros and cons,, but not really a right or wrong answer.
Yes, contradictory I know. :D

Pro's :clap:

1. Fast access from sleep state

But, lets ask ourselves and find out, how long does it really take to start up?
If your system is old, it could take some time, in this case, Only shutdown if you are not going to be using it for more than 8 hours. Why? It will last longer, Heat and Power are an enemy to hardware. The longer and more used, the shorter the life expectancy.

But with SSD Drives, is 30sec or less a long time to wait to start using your system?

Sure, you can leave it on 24/7 and it could last 10 years, but it could also last 1, there is not one single person who can give anyone a definite answer to that question. Not one on this planet.

2. If you want to access the system from elsewhere via remote access.

3. When downloading large amounts of data.

Cons :(

There are many. Some already stated and obvious.

2. If the system is on and connected to the net, it is more prone to attack by hackers.

3. uses power, not saying that for any other reason than it uses power you are paying for.

I shut mine off when I'm not using it.
But if I ever leave it on for a extended amount of time,after I have completed a task I'll shut it down.

There is no real answer,, it really is a matter of preference. :thup:

I never usually shut down my 2 rigs for one there bitcoin mining and to help they have platinum psu's. When their mining they are paying for their electric anyways :D.

Back