• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gtx 680 4gb seriously what is taking so long

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The most Vram I have used is 1.8GB on BF3 on my GTX680, this is at 1920x1200 on ultra. I can't see it being a problem before I upgrade it again. Also note that SLI does not double the memory usable - each card stores the same data so you still only have the effective memory of a single card.

You cant even find a 680 with 2gb let alone 4gb, unless you get lucky and happen upon a site that got 5 in, and then get your order finished in the 2 mins they are still there. (I am looking for 680 HC and even fewer of those).

Seriously theres still stock issues with 680s? I figured it was only early adopters having problems. (I guess my idea of an early adopter is week1 launch! :D)

I think they dropped some of the i/o lanes on the 680 to make it cheaper, so the option for 4gb of gddr5 would require much higher density chips that are currently on that market at those bin levels. the 7800+ series cards just have more i/o lanes so they can put more memory chips to reach the larger memory amounts. There is nothing say the cards couldn't address larger chips, I just don't think there is a economical reason for them to do it right now. Lack of demand and large initial investment to secure the bin requirements initially.

Well, 680 supposed to be 670Ti at the beginning. Nvidia changed it to 680 and raised price so there is still spot for top model. Maybe they have problems with highest version or see that there is no need to show it now as 680 can compete with fastest AMD without problems for a bit lower price ... hard to say.

Iv'e used alittler over 2200 MB in FFXIV in town with MSAAx8, AFx16 1920x1080 ambient occlusion, all the other goodies, this was on a GTX 580 3GB model.

To achieve this however you have to launch the 64bit client inside the folder, rather than the 32bit one it places on the desktop.

Tera had similar results once you turn everything up and play for a few hours, .ini tweeks (simple to do) can put you into the 2GB range fairly easy, especially in the main city. If i buy anymore cards for newer gen games it will be 2GB or more because i do run 8XAA, I can tell the difference in 4x and 8x. It beomces even more obvious when you play a game like Skyrim where you are in First person perspective and are picking things up from objects like tables.

Well, 680 supposed to be 670Ti at the beginning. Nvidia changed it to 680 and raised price so there is still spot for top model. Maybe they have problems with highest version or see that there is no need to show it now as 680 can compete with fastest AMD without problems for a bit lower price ... hard to say.

Yep, that is one thing that I think a lot of people here have assumed/figured by the way that the launch went and some people were a little disappointed with the 680 launch (even though it is obviously a solid card - it is hardly a radeon-killer, especially with benchmarks and overclocking). I think I will likely be waiting for either the 110 or an aftermarket (lightning, for example) 680 that can actually overclock well without TiN-ing it.

Yep, that is one thing that I think a lot of people here have assumed/figured by the way that the launch went and some people were a little disappointed with the 680 launch (even though it is obviously a solid card - it is hardly a radeon-killer, especially with benchmarks and overclocking). I think I will likely be waiting for either the 110 or an aftermarket (lightning, for example) 680 that can actually overclock well without TiN-ing it.

Ahh, TiN'ing it is half the fun :D

hey thanks for the link! but I've already gone ahead and bought a 7950. pretty damn happy with it and it's ocing so much. stable at 1200+ on the core. its benching more than 7970s atm which is awesome. only cost me $500 aus too. the 4gb 680 is gonna cost like $900 aus so I'd say I've bought the better bang for buck card haha. thanks guys

tis a good card. Should serve you well :D

Back