• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gtx 680 4gb seriously what is taking so long

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CURTO

can someone enlighten me as to why its taking the manufacturing companies so ****ing long to shove 4gb into the 680s? honestly how hard could it be? they wouldnt have do really do anything complicated at all would they? just swap the rams over for bigger ones. and nah i dont want any comments like "why do you want 4gb anyways?" or some **** like that. my question is simply about how they stick ram into a gpu and why its taking so long, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess they still have some stock to finish up before restocking on Kepler GPU's.
It could also be that they are waiting for the other 600 series (Which are gonna be released this month)
So, I guess they will start manufacturing in a few weeks, if not less.

Stock isnt the reason... They would sell both at the same time as a 4gb isnt a replacement foe the 2gb model.

Im guessing part of the reason there isnt a rush, and dont take this the wrong way,is that its not needed (see eyefinity benchmarks). Another reaason I think is that partners may not have had kepler early enough to put un 4gb..

+1

If they didn't get them soon enough or enough of them, they aren't going to make a 4GB card with their limited supply when a 2GB card is no issue.

Those wanting a 4GB card is a small compared to those that just want a GTX 680.

^ Hahaha I didn't see that. Ridiculous.

4GB is coming, eVGA has said that those models will even come with the fancy backplate standard.

I've heard rumors that when NVIDIA releases their next chip revision (GK110), it'll probably be released as a 4GB GTX685 (the GTX680 is a GK104). This is still a while off though.

... there isn't a rush because producers are thinking more to make some non reference cards like this before they make something useful ..
http://www.techpowerup.com/163634/Colorful-Makes-GeForce-GTX-680-iGame-Kudan-Official.html

"The third set is called Color-Kit, which is made up by acrylic paints and brushes. It is provided for those users who have interest of painting on the shell of the cooler." :rofl:

That actually sounds pretty cool, I don't know why you're bashing it. I'd love to be able to customize my large purchase (even though I'm not good at art).

Might be licensing, too.
Not impossible that Nvidia has said "No 4GB till X".

I've heard rumors that when NVIDIA releases their next chip revision (GK110), it'll probably be released as a 4GB GTX685 (the GTX680 is a GK104). This is still a while off though.

how far off are we talking? Worth waiting? will the 680 just be a filler card for now?

u are linking one of the most expensive ones :p they start at around 420 which aint bad considering the the 7970 starts at the same price and the 680 smacks the **** out of it in most games/ benches. :) not bad going tbh
£ 420 dont think so the they start from £539 have read this page its about gtx 680 4gb .

£ 420 dont think so the they start from £539 have read this page its about gtx 680 4gb .

ah my bad, been looking at the 2gb version people really gona fork out another 100+£ for the extra memory? duno what the relation between mem and screens is anymore, used to be that 1-2gb as enough for anything up to like 32 inches/ 1080? ( more memory would just be a waste of money unless your planning to game on a stilly resolution/ HUGE screen) correct me if im wrong?

Because high speed DRAM is very expensive and people don't want to pay for it because it will make no difference in 99% of situations. So manufacturers don't make them because they won't be able to sell the cards.

That's why it's taking so long.

Back