• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black Screen & then Blue at idle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soldierguy

Maybe twice a week my system crashes. Its always the same..or I think. The system is on, but I'm not much using it..or maybe reading Facebook or similar. Meaning no big drain of any kind. And then the screens go black..mostly I'm using Eyefinity 3 screens. And then I look at the Event message and its about Error 41 power to the Kernel etc.

I guess because my machine is no longer "responding" to something..a signal from the CPU I suppose?..it then shuts itself down to protect all.

I've done a Mem test(it was good) and then even replaced existing 6gb with similar 12gb/all new 3 sticks @ 4gb.

And I also replaced the power supply..It was kinda old and I thought it might be funky. I've got a 1200W Corsair gold. I also connected the Pc to different circuit within my house. I'm not using any kind of battery power interrupt device, but I'm using a surge protector and its been replaced too.

I mostly run it overclocked...And have been doing so for a couple years with no problems. In my signature you can see my system specs. I've never had hi temps with the machine and I use it for general and gaming.

Do I need to keep swapping parts? Or is there a way to determine what's happening. If I recall correctly I've experimented and I get the same system crash using overclocked or not.

I built the system in June 2010.. so its less than two years old.

BTW this all started maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Any ideas. Thanks. Tom

Last edited:
Take a look at this.

Thanks for the link. Sounds like me for sure.

I think I pretty much went through all those suggestions over the last few weeks. Maybe I missed something...or for sure "I've missed something"..because its still a problem.

I notice this guy didnt' solve it either.

For instance I went back to AMD 11.8 driver from 12.3 etc and used DriveSweeper in the process.

It may have something to do with an application. I heard a professional on a podcast the other day talk about how her Origin application was causing Chrome to often behave just like my machine.

I just can't recall if its always when I have a browser open, and yes I'm using Chrome but I dont' think i was when this all started. I think I was using IE, but was having problems with BF3 Battlelog and couldn't enter or install updates etc, and thought maybe it was IE. It wasn't but I found I kinda liked Chrome so have stuck with it.

I'm beginning to think its software and not hardware. But who knows.

I'll just keep looking thanks.

BTW for sure early on with Origin/BF3 when I would quit the game, and I guess Origin simultaneously, I would commonly, but not always, get the black/blue screen and Error 41, but I think maybe I got a little different Blue Screen message explanation. But overall it was the same.

And now, with Chrome and whatever changes have been made with Origin and game over the last few weeks, I no longer Blue Screen when exiting Origin.

Back