• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Usage????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pappypete

I'm not sure where to post this, so here it is. I just
put this system together last weekand it worked
great, at first.

BE6 ll V 1.1 cele [email protected] 256mg Crucial cas 2
Maxtor HD Win98

Problem is, it has slowed down and pages don't load
completely. I dld'd WinSystem98 and it reports CPU
usage of 50-60%, this is at desktop with nothing
open or running?? How can i find out what's running?

Just go to your task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and click on processes. that shoud tell you what all is running. It sounds really odd that your cpu usage is 60% with nothing running in the foreground. Im not sure what to tell you there, Im sure somebody else will have a couple of answers for you.

I've seen similar high CPU usage under Windows 98 with nothing running accept for the program that monitors CPU useage. I've used several different apps to monitor the CPU useage & they all behave the same when they are run under Windows98. I suspect that it is a Windows problem.

someone else reported in another thread that there was a bug in 98/Me systems with the task manager reporting mad system usage, or that while the system was at idle, Windows performs "routine housecleaning"...so that's probably what is going on in your rig....but it probably wouldn't hurt to scan for viruses/spyware proggies, either ;)

I did a virus scan and found nothing, i believe that
something is running due to the slowdown. I might
be wrong but i don't think it's a bug, as i said it was
great at first.

I had that problem with Windows ME about a year ago, so I switched back to 98SE. I never had any problems with 98 doing it though. I'd suggest re-formatting your HD and re-installing everything. It's a big pain in the "you know what" but it might clear things up.

Might wanna d/l Ad-Aware and check for some Spyware on your computer... that could be causing it. I get something new pop up every few days, I try to run it once a week. I don't know if it's actually spyware or just a Win98 glitch but it's worth a shot.

My copy of WinME isn't bad about being a resource hog like this. I'd recommend a fresh install of Win98. We use Win2k at school and I agree that would probably fix things, but when I find myself getting frustrated with ME, I reboot into Linux. Yep, a copy of Mandrake and a nice Windows Emulator is all I need....

Back