• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on a fan controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silk186

Registered
Sometimes my case gets really loud when it is at idle and gives my gf trouble falling asleep. I will order some NT-H1 paste and see if that helps. I'm concerned about the summer heat as it gets pretty hot where I live.

I want a fan controller that is not overprice or flashy and it needs fit into my case with the door closed.

My build is:

CM Storm Enforcer
i5-2500k (oc 4.5)
CM Hyper 212+
GA-Z68-UD3H-B3
Corsair Vengeance 2X4GB DDR3-1600
4tb of WD Greens (2+2x1)
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX

My fans are:

CPU cooler - 120mm (stock fan with CM Hyper 212+)
rear exhaust - 120mm black fan x 1, 1200 RPM, 17 dBA
front intake - 200mm Red LED fan x 1, 1000 RPM, 19 dBA
top exhaust - CM Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AR-GP 200mm Red LED Case Fan

I found the Lamptron FC9 Fan Controller. It is available and not excessively priced in my region and can have red LED lights which is good.

I will connect 1 fan per channel and this one has 50w channels. If I crank of the controller will it fry my fans?

I also looking into the Lamptron FC4, many people complained about the build quality of this unity.

I want something that is solid and will last a number of years powering a couple of fans and excels at running fans at a low RPM.

A fan controller's wattage per channel is just the maximum wattage from fans a channel is rated for. So, you can have 50W worth of fans on a single channel on the FC9. You can tell how many watts each fan uses by checking their stickers for voltage and amperage, then multiply voltage and amperage to get watts. The FC9 is definitely overkill for the fans you are using, but it doesn't hurt to have really strong channels powering relatively weak fans.

With a door on your case, you are limited mostly to controllers with sliders or touch screens.

Retractable Knobs
$53 - Scythe Kaze Master II

Buttons
$43 - Scythe Kaze Master Flat (NewEgg)

Sliders
$58 - Lamptron FC9
$37 - NZXT Sentry Mix
$25 - NZXT Sentry Mesh

Touch
$73 - Lamptron Touch
$38 - NZXT Sentry 2
$48 - NZXT Sentry LX
$50 - NZXT Sentry LXE

Thanks for the plug, but he doesn't meet the requirements for the classifieds yet, and my sale is pending anyways.

EDIT: It's actually sold now, just checked my email for payment :rolleyes:

I'm in living in China right now so the shipping would be crazy. I'm really impressed by how active this forum is. Thanks for all the advice. I will look over all your recommendations in the morning and cross check local availability and pricing.

Having a screen when it is hidden behind a door also seems like a waste.
The NZXT Sentry Mesh and the Rheobus-Extreme are both available here. The other available options are all very similar in price

Last edited:
i am confused... you pushing 25ish db max and your girlfriend can't sleep, ouch, is she like super sensitive? I dont foresee this solving the problem. What is "so loud" that keeps her up? is your PC playing games when she's trying to sleep? my video card jumps up to 75% fan speed an is quite loud, but besides that the normal sound of the fans is generally 15-20db, normal.

anyhow, as I looked for a fan controller... u want to confirm that your fans can be undervolted (though if only turning down a little bit, it shouldn't matter), but besides that fan controllers are pretty standard 2050w per channel, 20 is enough for most users. good luck :) I went with the nzxt mesh as it matches my case and doesn't glow BLUE (too much... as everything glows blue these days.)

Appreciate you are living in China right now but I can highly recomend the Sunbeam rheosmart 6 or Rheosmart 3 controllers. You may be able to get something like this there. I imported mine to NZ from the US using FrozenCPU. Amazon also has these I think and may be a bit cheaper.

They simple but very effective and I like the looks and have minimal lights. Its looks go well with most CM cases.

I control my Radiator fans of one channel (has 30w / channel) and the the other fans of the other channels. Can also plug into a PWM header if you wish to have automatic control. I tend to not use that.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...nel_Smart_Fan_Controller_-_Black_PL-RS-6.html

My gf can't sleep because the fan controller built into the motherboard isn't functioning properly. As I stated in my original post. The fans spin up at idle and during web browsing. Not always, but often enough. I tried using speedfan but it didn't really help.

A fan controller/replacing fans is one idea, but why not just put the system in sleep mode at night? I used to do that all the time when I had a smaller place (and a louder PC).

Just make sure PLL overvoltage is disabled in BIOS (if you have the option available) as it can interfere with sleep/standby mode.

or just completely turn it off while you sleep.... with an ssd it should be near instant (less than 1min) boot times then just leave it on all day... unless your using it as a heater, overnight dl's, or 24/7/365 folding

Back