• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If I go Core 2 Duo can i have 64 bit and get my 4GB???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jacksparrow77

The question is...if I install a compatible dual core processor, will I get the results listed in the title

got a Gateway / eMachines Coryville 2 Motherboard 4006173R in my old emachines t5086.

Intel P/N: D945GCLG2
Intel 945G Chipset
Support for Intel® LGA775 processors
Supports Intel® Core™2 Duo, Pentium® D, Celeron® D and P4 processors
Supports system bus speeds of 1066, 800, or 533 MHz
Two DIMM slots support for DDR2 667, DDR2 533, or DDR2 400 MHz modules
Up to 4 Gig memory system.

Intel P4 3.0 Ghz / 1M / 800Mhz LGA775 Skt 775 CPU sittin in the MoBo.

OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2G8004GK in the MoBo.

Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT 512 MB in the PCI Express Slot.

Upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. I also have the 64 bit disk with the same licence sittin there waitin.

Computer shows 4.00 GB (3.00 GB usable).

Observation, system runs really smooth and stable. I just want to get that last GB of ram to play nice and possibly get a few games to run a little faster.

Yup if you slap a 64bit CPU in there and install 64 bit win7 you'll get the full 4gb of ram to play with.

Games will greatly appreciate the core2duo CPU, whether the extra GB of ram will help varies hugely by game.

I think that CPU can execute 64bit code. It's not native 64bit, but i ran Windows Vista X64 on one of those guys for a long time...

That being said, Core 2 Duos are still respectable CPUs. Not the best for really tough games, but they work well for general computing and light gaming.

There're two sets of P4s, there is the 5xx series with 1mb of cache and no 64bit support, and there is the 6xx series with 2mb of cache and 64bit support.
Three sets if you count the 6x1 65nm bits.

Thanks for the response's. My processor is the one with 2mb of L2 Cashe. It has 64 bit instruction set but 32 bit physical address extensions.

I don't know what that means so I didn't use the 64 bit disk when I upgraded the OS. But that settles it then, I am going to acquire a core 2 duo for this rig. I can pick one up fairly cheap and double my processor power.

I'm working on that ATM. May take some time...I know the system is so outdated that buying a processor, ram or board from that era is actually more expensive in some cases. Was looking around and noticed I can get an ASUS P5B-VM Motherboard rather cheap as they are still abundant. That would open the door to 8GB of ram if I could find some cheap.
What a waste of time to be foolin around with this system...oh well got bit by the upgrade bug again.

edit:
got a 2.2Ghz core 2 duo...still could not see all of ram and and i could not upgrade to the 64 bit version of my OS.(have disk) (could have been at my limit for activation also...ran in to that problem this weekend)

Got an NVIDIA nForce 650i Ultra ATX and just did a fresh install...win 7 64 bit. I think it was the board. see all my ram...this board tops out at 8GB.

Last edited:
Back